Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Microsoft has released office live (at http://office.live.com), which is their free online app platform to compete with google apps. I have been playing with it via firefox on my laptop and it works ok, but I haven't been able to raise the pages from the browser on my n900.

Has anyone tried this yet, and have you had any success getting it to work on a Maemo device?

(Please feel free to include copious messages flaming both Microsoft and Google, with additional oblique digs on Apple as well. I think the free-flowing bile helps get the creative juices flowing, and will help someone find out how to make this work.)

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
It works in Firefox, but it's very slow. Maybe HideUserAgent will help getting it to work in MicroB

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I hadn't reinstalled firefox since I flashed 1.2 onto my phone. I just installed and live works fine--not too slow over a solid 3G connection. Not how I would like to work all day long, but it is nice to know there is another way to create or view word and excel documents in a pinch.

I have never been impressed with google apps word processor, but the spreadsheet was pretty good. I haven't played enough to make a comparison here between google and microsoft.

Just tested Google Docs and Microsoft Live Docs and Google Docs is definately quicker. There's a definate delay with Microsoft Live Docs. Still would prefer an installable office package that I didn't have to pay for that is verified as stable!!!

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
I just tried, it does run after changing the user agent, and it's faster than in Firefox, but buggy and unstable. this is the one I used:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux armv6l; en-US; rv:1.9a6pre) Gecko/20070810 Firefox/3.0a1 Tablet browser 0.1.16 RX-34_2007SE_4.2007.38-2

edit: JFH, OpenOffice via Easy Debian takes forever to start, but it is very stable (for me), and free.

Last edited by maartenmk; 2010-06-09 at 21:20.