Notices

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Montreal
Q. What is it?

I am working on a micro-benchmark suite testing some very simple things like performance of data copies (to test memory bandwidth), unoptimized and optimized matrix multiplications (to test floating point performance) and some integer tests etc.The frontend of the suite is being developed in Qt and thus it should be cross-platform.

Q.Why?

Allows us to test performance of CPU+compiler for devices like current and future Symbian phones from Nokia, N900 at various clock speeds and future Meego devices. And it will probably run on Windows, Linux etc too so perhaps a comparison with atom will be of interest.

Q. How can you help?

I dont have an N900 (poor student here :P) so you can help me debug it. I will test in the Maemo emulator provided already by Nokia and then provide you with packages that you can install and run. Further, if you are overclocking your N900 then performance comparisons should be very interesting.

Q. If you are not a developer, WIll it help you?

Not really. Or at least I dont think so. It will however be of interest to developers who in turn might help you

Q. Will it be open source?

Right now it is not. Might be in the future. However, it will be free.

Q. Will you distribute through Ovi store?

Will try to make it available at as many places as I can.

Q. Conclusions?

I am open to any suggestions. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Montreal
Forgot to mention the timeline. I am only working on it in my free time. Expect first betas that you can test in say October or November.

Originally Posted by codedivine View Post
Forgot to mention the timeline. I am only working on it in my free time. Expect first betas that you can test in say October or November.
cool soo say friday?

Really cant wait tho

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand

There are actually lots of benchmarking codes in existence already, what are you planning on adding that improves on any of these?

E.g. http://lbs.sourceforge.net/

Now that is aimed at Linux, so making things cross platform would certainly be a worthy goal, but I imagine some or all of the existing benchmark software can be ported anyway.