Hi all,

I was wondering why the phone lags so much when i configure 5/6 IM services... and enable Email updates once in 2 hrs.. (2 mailboxes)..

I haven't overclocked... But i use Smart Reflex Technology in QCPUFreq and ive got Swappolube installed with the proposed settings turned on..

Well, the main reason im curious about this is coz since i come from the symbian phones.. (profimail + nimbuzz for ppl who r familiar there...) there was no lag... Ive installed a few apps in maemo extras and some from maemo testing repositories...

Is overclocking the only solution i wonder... Coz ive looked through the forum and found out that it would reduce the phones lifetime and i would like to keep this device for a verrry long time since its one of a kind...

Anyone experienced may help..

Thanks for reading../

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Do not turn on Smart Reflex. Consider it lucky when you only experience lag.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
After you have rebooted does ti still lag? IMO swappolube might give you instant boost but in long run nobody knows how it works with multiple different memory scenarios.

Also if device lags in certain time of day you might want to check how to disable 24h cycled update checker. Use power search and maemo wiki for more infromation.

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
But aint smart reflex only supposed to cause troubles in overclocked cases???

Originally Posted by slender View Post
After you have rebooted does ti still lag? IMO swappolube might give you instant boost but in long run nobody knows how it works with multiple different memory scenarios.

Also if device lags in certain time of day you might want to check how to disable 24h cycled update checker. Use power search and maemo wiki for more infromation.
Ive seen an article about 24h cycled update checker.... it checks for sw updates like windows update right???

turning it off is fine then i guess??? Is it just the same as updating from app manager??? the only difference being a manual installation??

Jeeze, ignore this dumbass. There is nothing wrong with SR, however on some 'rare' devices it can cause reboots. If yours has been working with it enabled, definatley keep it switched on.

Originally Posted by slender View Post

Don't worry about swappolubes VM settings, they have been shown to improve things, tried and tested RELENTLESSLY by almost every TMO user.

Make sure you have disabled automatic updates as this causes the phone to 'lag out' once every 24hours trying to find updates (which there are none). From xterm as root do this:

Code:
gconftool -s -t int /apps/hildon/update-notifier/check_interval 1440000
Overclocking, when done responsibly will not reduce the the lifespan of your phone. You will probably have worn the keyboard out and knackered every mechanical assembly on the device before you fry the CPU with responsible overclocking.

In general the best compromise for batterylife and a significant speed improvement is a mild overclock to 805MHz at 'ideal' voltage profile with SR.

Can you be more specific about what circumstances the phone lags in? WHat are your useage patterns?

You did click 'store' on swappolube right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by SkyKnight View Post
But aint smart reflex only supposed to cause troubles in overclocked cases???
Smart Reflex would cause crashing and trigger watchdog reboot at high load. If you've installed and run too many background processes that stressed the CPU loading at bootup time, that would result in infinite rebooting that many people here has experienced.

It may not necessary directly related to the power kernel itself, but I'm sure overclocking would trigger the problem more frequent. So for safety refrain from making Smart Reflex on as default.

Smart Reflex would cause crashing and trigger watchdog reboot at high load. If you've installed and run too many background processes that stressed the CPU loading at bootup time, that would result in infinite rebooting that many people here has experienced.

It may not necessary directly related to the power kernel itself, but I'm sure overclocking would trigger the problem more frequent. So for safety refrain from making Smart Reflex on as default.
Dude, are you high?

If he sets smart reflex with kernel-config (as he would when overclocking) if there was an error when booting (which there won't) the safety script in kernel-power-settings will not apply the SR reflex. Also, where are you getting this horse **** about high load SR reboots? This is only applicable in a small minority of cases. OP says he has been running with SR on already for some time.

Stop pretending to know what you are on about and quit scaring this noob.

FLASH IT CLEAN!!! no am kidding, turn off the smart reflex as its not stable on quite a few devices.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
FLASH IT CLEAN!!! no am kidding, turn off the smart reflex as its not stable on quite a few devices.
Please stop.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post: