Notices

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bangalore
Why the update for RotateDaemon stopped?

RotateDeamon is the best script which rotates N900 in 4 ways. I like this application a lot. there were some changes to be made, which i thought the update is on the way. But there is no update from long time.

is there any reason why the developer stopped working on it......

please can any one follow up or can do anything to RotateDaemon application

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I believe the same developer was also making the portrait keyboard app. Last I payed attention, the same guy was more focused on facebrick. That said, Eternal, at least for a while, had picked up the portrait keyboard development.

I don't think anyone's doing anything with the RotateDaemon. If I was actually good enough with coding (IE, knew anything I was doing), I would pick it up too because I think it's a good app - but I am utterly incompetent. Pretty much the only thing I can do with code is add comments to it. I wouldn't even know where to start with developing something as complicated to me as the RotateDaemon, let alone navigate the labyrinth that is getting stuff to Maemo Extras.

I hope this doesn't sound personal... with all due respect, example like this is why commercial app is still necessary because there's some sort of reward in place for dev to devote their commitment. However, as discussed elsewhere it's perfectly fine since the devs voluntarily devote their time and energy and they can decide whatever they want to do (Meego in this case).

Last edited by sony123; 2010-09-01 at 01:23.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
It doesn't sound personal. But I would argue that it's not an example of necessity at all.

Commercial app development is one way that something like this could happen. But just because it's the first mind that comes to mind doesn't mean much. By the same token, someone could point to a commercial app or project that never got finished but was in beta stages and say "this is an example of why open source development would be better - when the developer decides he doesn't want to work on it, someone else who knows how to code could do it by picking up where he left off."

At the end of the day, this is not about open or closed source, free or commercial software. It's simply about the fact that this developer happened to decide he didn't care enough to keep working on it, or had other things he needed to get done. It happens all the time in the commercial app world too. It's just that in commercial app development you don't see it as much because half-finished or beta apps are rarely seen by the public. Even if human beings needed money to have incentive (we have other motivations, often ones that over-power pursuit of money), it doesn't mean having monetary incentive would have kept this developed interested in RotateDaemon.

So basically, maybe money would have helped in this case, maybe it wouldn't have. We don't know what happened in the developer's life. Even if in this case, money would have kept him working on it, that doesn't exactly disprove or prove the ability of open source software to grow on its own or the need for commercial software. There's too many other factors involved that we don't know.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Maybe contacting the developer via PM or e-mail could help?

I have has also found that you can get more with honey...

I know English may be a second language however, if I was the developer; I would avoid this thread because the wording compels any response to be a schedule commitment that I may not, or could not make at this time. Savvy?

I would look for a thread here that he/she was last active in, preferably one about the RotateDeamon. Post in that thread your use case, extol the virtues of his efforts, and ask if there is anything you could do to help facilitate the updates you want.

BTW, this is just my opinion based on my life's experiences and not meant to be critical of, or disrespectful to, anyone in any way.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Does anyone know how to contact the developer or to ask any developer to continue on this??????

I hope rotate deamon can get updated and have the bugs fixed. It's a great app!

Originally Posted by nokiaqueen View Post
I hope rotate deamon can get updated and have the bugs fixed. It's a great app!
but how can anyone please..............