Hello everyone.. i am stuck in a problem and its kinda strange.. i just bought a new n900 and i've tried every possible thing to get out of the following problem..i have a wifi router installed at my home from which i access internet using my laptop and other devices.. i tried connecting it to my n900 and it did get connected but wen i try browsing anything the page remains blank.. the icon next to the battry level showing the wifi connection status is stable.. i tried connecting it from my GPRS connection as well.. the icon indicating that status gets stable as well as it gets connected properly but again no browsing.. i even tried accessing the internet after the connection is established through diffferent applications on the work but it doesnt seem to work.. please help me out wid it!

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Do you have MAC filtering enabled on your access point? Any other access controls in place?

Can you ping the N900 from your computer? (To find the ip address on your n900 you can type ifconfig in x-term)

In your access point do you have any status messages indicating your N900 has connected?

well there is no filtering of mac, the connection is open for anyone to connect.. i removed the passkey as well.. my laptop and other devices work fine.. my e71 works just great.. i tried using
PHP Code:
ifconfig 
but it didnt seem to work for mee.. i tried many others on net but was unable to find the ip addresss of my n900

And yea there is a status of wifi just to the right of the battry status i click on it and get a menu for internet connection and says connected.. but the browsing isnt working or i even tried using ip address like the ip address for google to access it but it didnt work

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Download the Desktop Command Execution Widget and set the command to "Internal IP". Then connect via WiFi and try to ping the phone.

Post back and let us know

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by daxguy View Post
PHP Code:
ifconfig 
My apologies, I've modified my shell quite a bit.

This should work for you in x-term:

/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 | grep 'inet addr'

well i pinged my cell from my laptop.. it worked fine.. it did send replies back without any packet loss.. just want to add this is up mayb be it would make it more clear for u to help me out.. i went to a friends place and tried connecting my cell with his wifi and it worked all good.. but dont know wats the problem here.. am using the default setting of wifi the wifi router device name is TP-LINK Model no: TP-WR340G here is the link to the product website http://www.tp-link.com/products/prod...odel=TL-WR340G.. i tried moving into the admin panel but coudnt understand what changes i need to make in this to get my cell working on this.. my laptop is working fine with the default settings!

i know this is probably a stupid suggestion, but is ur friend's wifi name the same as yours?

Also, make sure that your phone doesn't have any static IP set.. to me it looks like a gateway addressing problem. Is your phone set to static IP? or is the DHCP server giving out the wrong address (unlikely)?

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Right, your phone is connecting to the router ok and is being assigned an IP. One of the possible causes of not being able to get online is because you are duplicating IP's across your phone and your laptop / PC / XBox / PS3 etc. The best wya to check that you are not running duplicate IP's is to check using the Desktop Command Execution Widget to check the IP assigned to your phone and then (assuming you are running Windows, any version) on your laptop hit Windows Key + R, type "cmd" and hit enter. At the DOS prompt type "ipconfig" and check that the two IP's assigned are not the same.

Usually they will follow a pattern of 192.168.0.<incremental>, ie: 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3 etc. Check that they are not being assigned the same IP as other equipment on your network.

Routers assign dynamic IP's based on the equipment connected and the time that they connected - it is possible that you are running duplicates meaning getting online is impossible.

Let me know what the results are....

well before i could do all wat u mentioned i needed to install the desktop command execution widget.. i download the widget file from maemo and copied it into my cell storage and tried running the app.. to get it installed.. it moved to a new window saying preparing for installation, please wait and it gets stuck there.. i dunno wat is the problem.. i tried doing the ipconfig thingy as well.. but didnt show me the ip as u have mentioned 192.168... and so on.. instead it showed me ipv6 address : which had a long string of characters..tunnel adapter etc..

sorry for botherin u soo much