Hi Guys,

My n900 has stopped taking charge. A quick search has revealed some similar issues which were software realted and some people whos usb connector had come out of their device.

Mine issue is neither of these two, if a twiddle and twist the connector I can get it to take charge for a few minutes until I let go again. Im wondering if this is a result of the poor usb mounting that causes the whole thing to come out some time.

As you can see in the attachement, the socket seems to have slipped down and to one side (only by a tiny amount).

Is this a common issue, and any idea how I go about getting it fixed?

Gutted! Ive had it like 4 weeks.....
Attached Images

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
take it asap to service, maybe it could be fixed still if no soldering pads has ripped off.... looks like it has some damage also in top part.....you should be very carefull when plugin the cable...

This "Surface mount: issue with USB jack is piss poor from nokia. Im traumatised!

Nokia site shows a "phonehouse" here in madrid as a "care centre" so I guess I go there and they send it back for me right?

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
AFAIK, they'll open it in the back room (if it's a care center) and determine whether or not it's been mistreated. If it's poorly soldered, you get a new device (they rarely fix yours, usually replacement on new devices if in stock. Or replace the whole board). If they find it ripped, they'll inform you of the bill to repair. It matters if they have them in stock.

Maybe it's different in Madrid, but that's how they always handled things here at the central NCC.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by pickle View Post
Hi Guys,

My n900 has stopped taking charge. A quick search has revealed some similar issues which were software realted and some people whos usb connector had come out of their device.

Mine issue is neither of these two, if a twiddle and twist the connector I can get it to take charge for a few minutes until I let go again. Im wondering if this is a result of the poor usb mounting that causes the whole thing to come out some time.

As you can see in the attachement, the socket seems to have slipped down and to one side (only by a tiny amount).

The top of the port kinda looks bent. Did you drop it at all while it was plugged into your computer or charger?

I grinded down my chargers clips to take away the strain on the port when connecting. My results are here -

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37107&page=13

Originally Posted by pickle View Post
Hi Guys,

Yeah I have the same problem seems if ya buy from Vodafone online they will not replace it after 28 days of purchase F shysters - these are rubbish cheap jacks am surprised that Nokia uses such rubbish. Seems Vodafone have not heard of slae of goods act they will replace when I take em to court hahahahah Doc

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
mine has just gone 10 months after buying it, still charges if i angle the phone and charger so that the contacts connect to the board, been really carefull with it too as i knew the problem existed, looks like ill be with out a phone for a month again while nokia care centre poke and prod it

or an accidental loss might be on the cards and ill keep it for spares for the new one!

I had to squeeze mine to make it smaller then it worked (kind of) again.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
I have a loose USB but if I sit my N900 down at the right angle it will charge no problems, however if I use the charger to my brothers Galaxy S I notice it charges everytime just, no shimmying it or angling it the right way to catch a charge.

Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
I have a loose USB but if I sit my N900 down at the right angle it will charge no problems, however if I use the charger to my brothers Galaxy S I notice it charges everytime just, no shimmying it or angling it the right way to catch a charge.
I had the same problem (had to have the phone at the right angle). I picked up a spare battery from Batteries Plus, and found that the connector pins on the original battery are an extremely loose fit compared to the replacement I got. With the new battery I haven't had the charging problem. This leads me to believe that if the connector pins on the battery don't fit well, the n900 won't charge until you get it at an angle in which the pins are making a good connection. I've only had the new battery for a few days, so I will give an updated if this situation changes.