Hi,

this morning my battery went from full battery to flat in 3.5 hours. Very unusual.

I have not installed or run anything different today, but something drained it very quickly.

Is there any way I can trace back to see what program or process did this?

I have Battery Eye and Graph installed but from what I can see these just some the line graph of the reducing battery, not what actually caused it.

CHeers.

Well, some identified a problem that the USB chip is constantly draining the battery even if connected to a power supply (after the battery is charged). I can confirm that.
Also make sure your BT, and GPS are off. In your battery eye, how was the CPU? Was it high or idle?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:
Thanks, USB chip...could be .....how could I check?
BT and GPS both off all morning, no WIFI or 3g/gprs either.
CPU showing maxing out throughout this period by something....?

J

Well, to check if the USB chip is the problem, remove the USB cable and see if that makes any difference.
Anyway, are you saying that the CPU was full? That will explain the fast battery charge loss. You can try to install the SSH server, and then connect from your PC and do a top, then see which application is eating your CPU.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
A very redimentary way to see whats 'historicly' going on would be to run top in batch mode - something like
Code:
$ while true; do date; top -b -n1 | head -n 10; sleep 360; done
Will print the first 10 lines of the top command then wait for 5 mins and do it again, until you CTRL-C.
Of course, the command 'top' will appear at the top of each list as that's the current process running, but look at the other ones...