Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
ST-Ericsson U8500

I know the partnership between Nokia and Ericsson relative to this platform is old news, but I just noticed that it showed up on Meego's wiki under compatible handsets:

http://wiki.meego.com/Devices

Will the N9 be built on this? Please Nokia, let it be true!!

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
sounds very very interesting.but i REALLY wouldn't hold my breath fot that.
sounds to good to be true

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Hasn't it been there for a long time? I'm not holding my breath for that unfortunately as what i have been searching around this, N9 seems to be heading towards OMAP3640 as far as the rumours go and what example some dev mailing lists have been talking about.

Thought it's certain that U8500 will be seen inside Nokia phones at some point as the U8500 was actually very much of a ST-Ericsson and Nokia project to start with.

I would be very surprised to see it inside N9, but let me tell you that the hw would actually be better than i have even imagined if it will.

Btw ST-Ericsson is demoing HD stereoscopic 3D video on Symbian with U8500 in SEE 2010.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
The N9

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
ST-Ericsson U8500

I know the partnership between Nokia and Ericsson relative to this platform is old news, but I just noticed that it showed up on Meego's wiki under compatible handsets:

Will the N9 be built on this?
Almost certainly not. For one thing Nokia has insisted many times that the Harmattan device will be OMAP3-based.

Please Nokia, let it be true!!
Why do you care? If you like the specs and it runs MeeGo what does the manufacturer logo on it matter?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
ST-Ericsson U8500

Will the N9 be built on this? Please Nokia, let it be true!!
The same page also lists the Archos 5 IT and under ARM, snapdragon processors. So don't put too much weight into it.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
But something to consider: If a large bunch of platforms (Snapdragon, U8500, OMAP3, OMAP4, Atom, MIPS, whatever..) is properly supported in MeeGo.. imagine how easy it would be for Nokia to rebase their eventual MeeGo based OS on various hardware types? Or for that matter, anyone productizing a MeeGo release.

I mean, there's even a demo of Qt Quick running on a armv4t device without big issue..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
The same page also lists the Archos 5 IT and under ARM, snapdragon processors. So don't put too much weight into it.
No thats much further down - they just pointed out that it's the same as the beagle board.

It seems very strange, that its up there with the N900 - seems very strange.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by Engadget, Nokia's QWERTY slidin' N9 shows up in the wilds of China
Update: A friendly mole of ours ran this handset's serial number through an internal Nokia system and has confirmed it as a Nokia prototype. He was also able to uncover an RM-680 product type classification ...
PATCHv1 3/5 Bluetooth: rm680: pm constraints support

From the above patch it is pretty clear that this particular device is running on OMAP, not U8500. This of course doesn't exclude the U8500 from some other future devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
PATCHv1 3/5 Bluetooth: rm680: pm constraints support

From the above patch it is pretty clear that this particular device is running on OMAP, not U8500. This of course doesn't exclude the U8500 from some other future devices.
If you are right then I guess N9 won't be my N900 replacement device. I'm holding off for N10 or something next with A9 or dual core in it that run MeeGo. Beside first year of MeeGo will be like a baby nursary and will be a lot of bumps and lumps. Best to wait for MeeGo to at least learning to crawling and that may be 1year after the launch? I'm not to buy a device with fresh new OS and out dated hardware spec. A8 era is 2010 but A9 can be in 2011

Please Nokia learn to listen and bring out A9 processor or U8500 in N9 if you want to win the mobile war!!

Tags
hatersgonnahate, one more, useless thread