Active Topics

Notices

Hi,

I have a weird problem in that my albums that are in WMA (Windows Media Audio) format do not play in track order - they re-sequence into alphabetical order??

However, my MP3 files play fine and in track order.

It is defintely not a tagging problem - all the WMA files have the track number etc the same as the MP3 files.

The only difference is the file format.

Has anyone else come accross this or know how to fix it??

Many thanks

i have the same problem. it is a pain because most of my music is in wma and i don't want to re-rip it. I guess i need to figure out how to log a bug.

I tried mediabox and it couldn't even find the artist and album.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Portsmouth, England
I have the same problem and have been trying to find a fix for weeks!!

I am not sure if it it the fact the files are WMA as I have tried with MP3 and still had the same problem where all files are shown on the device in alphabetical order.

I have tried with Windows Media Player, Media Monkey and Songbird and the track order is always shown alphabetically. Frustrating as I also have all my music in WMA.

I have tried all various tagging options but all appear to be correct and I am stuck completely and really want to use my N900 for Music (with album tracks in the correct order)

Any help would be massively appreciated...

Simon

Simon - do all your WMA and MP3 files both have the track number field filled in correctly? Both mine do and always the WMA files list alphabetically, but the MP3's are fine.. cant work it out. Am still searching for a solution.

A Maemo bug fix would be the best solution though!

Originally Posted by snubmoggy View Post
Simon - do all your WMA and MP3 files both have the track number field filled in correctly? Both mine do and always the WMA files list alphabetically, but the MP3's are fine.. cant work it out. Am still searching for a solution.

A Maemo bug fix would be the best solution though!
Hi, I have been looking into this further and yes all info is correct. It appears that the N900 does not sort WMA files only in track order. MP3 are sorted correctly but I personally do not want to use MP3.

I also do think a maemo bug fix would be best but am looking for a workaround in the meantime. I can't believe that WMA would not be supported.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Windows Media Audio

I think I found the problem here.

It won't even take that much effort to batch convert them to real formats with correct free tools.

Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Windows Media Audio

I think I found the problem here.

It won't even take that much effort to batch convert them to real formats with correct free tools.
Yes, that is one solution, but it is missing the point - you shouldn't have to do that, the N900 should be able to list tracks in there natural album order straight out of the box. It is a lot of effort you shouldn't have to do.

There is another workaround which I have been using.

Originally, I copied the WMA albums straight onto the N900 using Windows Explorer, and that is when I came across the problem.

However, if I use Windows Media Player (version 12 I am using with Windows7) to sync albums up (using mass-mode, note that the syncing is also very quick), then it appears to play WMA albums in the correct order. Not sure what extra 'tagging' Windows Media Player does as opposed to copying them but it appears to work for me.

Originally Posted by snubmoggy View Post
There is another workaround which I have been using.

Originally, I copied the WMA albums straight onto the N900 using Windows Explorer, and that is when I came across the problem.

However, if I use Windows Media Player (version 12 I am using with Windows7) to sync albums up (using mass-mode, note that the syncing is also very quick), then it appears to play WMA albums in the correct order. Not sure what extra 'tagging' Windows Media Player does as opposed to copying them but it appears to work for me.
That would be great..but I am not running Windows 7 therefore not Windows Media Player 12 (Just v11 which does not work) so I am stuck still. Really wish Nokia would see this and bring a fix, been 6 weeks now and I really want to get my Music collection on here in a tidy and organised way..

Anyone else can help?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Ely, near Cambridge, UK
Try last entry in this thread where i had the same problem:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=songbird

Songbird worked for me on Windows 7 64bit...although it's v. buggy....but it did the job & all my songs are now in the correct order after the first sync. Some of the artwork is missing but I can sort that later.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sam

Last edited by HomesIckAlien; 2010-01-20 at 16:42. Reason: added info