Active Topics

As everybody is writing here, all of us (or almost) are looking for an alternative, since nobody seems to trust in Nokia anymore, and Intel doesn't seem to be powerful enough to push Meego forward.

So, it seems that the choice is between WebOS and Android. Both approaches still far from the current maemo OS, but it's like there's no more alternative (!)

But, then I've though, what about all developers that were centered in Meego project? What are they going to do?? Because at the end, I am quite sure that I am going to go wherever they go. So, are they going to stay with Meego? Are they moving to Android? WebOS perhaps??

And the most important thing. What is the way to know WHAT are THEY going to DO???

Best,

* I find the question somewhat unrelated to the main post, since I want to know if there is an official channel of info that represents the Meego developers, so I can go there and take a look

The Following User Says Thank You to petrelli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Well, the MeeGo community is developing MeeGo. The people here are still the Maemo community, and this will probably help motivate them to continue developing the N900's closed component replacements and so on. At least, some of them, I would expect.

Meanwhile, Intel... Not strong? Intel is strong enough, and there's still other MeeGo partners. It's not that Intel is weak - it's that the masses on here are, in that they see inevitable failure before pausing to contemplate... myself, I'm keeping my N900 for a couple of years. I don't have this need to get a new phone every two years, let alone yearly.

But I'm not one of the important community users. So take this as the opinion of a semi tech savvy user, not a developer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by petrelli View Post
As everybody is writing here, all of us (or almost) are looking for an alternative, since nobody seems to trust in Nokia anymore, and Intel doesn't seem to be powerful enough to push Meego forward.
I think Intel is serious. They will probably release an (intel-based) Meego mobile phone within the year.

It only makes sense: a mobile OS that is closely tied to an Intel chip, with binary compatibility (!) of apps running on the phone, the tablet and the netbook.

Good news for Intel, this is their chance.

MeeGo community options:

1) Quit. Get a new hobby or a new job and forget about your MeeGo ambitions.
2) Join forces with HP and Palm. WebOS has many characteristics resembling MeeGo, the transition would be the easiest*
3) Jump the Android bandwagon. It's about to shift into overdrive with 3.0, maybe its time to be a little fish in a big pond?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Now I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY happy I lost my N900 and decided to go Android.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
WebOS sounds interesting and certainly worth a glimpse.
MeeGo is still alive without Nokia's committment (there hasn't been much committment from Nokia for MeeGo in the past anyway). MeeGo appears to be mostly driven by Intel.
Maemo5 is still in my pocket every day and the N900 is still a great phone where nothing comes close. Nokia may be dead to me, but Maemo and MeeGo aren't.
I'm more worried about the future of Qt.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
No Android forums out there to hang out? :P

I guess the MeeGo community will stay where it is, imho, Nokia should just release the hardware, whether buggy or not (Nokia's first release is buggy anyway), then the community can support the device.

And here's my own opinion about this Nokia f.ckup, Android's cool and all, and everyone knows that, but as a developer, I'd have to learn Java to program for it, sure the Android market is full of apps, but I'm sure I'll find something missing, also, having tried nitdroid, I can say the default android shell (which isn't on stock devices afaik), is crap compared to busybox.

Next, we have the iPhone, which my dad recently got, UI's excellent, everything's snappy on the device, receiving a call doesn't suffocate the device, 100k+ apps, err, that's where I stopped and thought about it, of all the 100k+ apps, I only installed 30-40 apps, the rest are either duplicates, game guides, music lists, fart apps, stuff that I can easily google, also the $100 fee to start developing is sad (never really looked at C#, so can't voice my opinion here).

Symbian, I have an N8 (or access to one), and besides Nokia Bubbles (which isn't a lot), I haven't found anything that would make me say "Oh, I'd use the N8 over my N900", I always found myself going back to the N900, whether it's for the browser, or the UI.

So yeah, I guess the alternatives for me aren't a lot, I guess I'll join the MeeGo community soon, hopefully Nokia gets the hardware right with the N9.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Just post on the official Meego forums - thats where they hang out on the web.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Can you in all honesty see c++ programmers devoting enough time to acomplish a Meego OS?.

Maemo has been out now over a year and because of the bad team work it is a disaster so i very much doubt we will ever see a Meego project from a community unless they work to a strict pattern in order not to get crashes etc.

IMHO if Meego is to happen it would have to come from a team workirng together within Nokia or Intel.

NB: What N9? has Nokia not killed that before it got even started ?.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-02-12 at 11:07.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I think if MeeGo device come out with a dual core A9 and 1GB RAM, 32GB eMMC + SD card, HDMI, FM trans + reciever, 12MP camer + xeon and Led, 3.7 to 4" screen NCB 720p resolution, Capacitive multitouch, keyboard, large battery, compass + GPS, gyroscope, then I would buy it if the price is cheap enough since Nokia is no longer mainstreaming it.

With those hardware I listed above, we could easily porting apps from desktop linux, install different OS if desire and hopefully Alien Dalvik is releasing on MeeGo then we don't have to worry about apps shortage since we can use android apps in replacement to Nothing from Nokia and it's market.

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2011-02-12 at 11:15.

Tags
buysomethinelse, maemo fail