Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
After recieving this email from Phones Review who everyone knows i just had to start this thread to find out more of what is going on between Nokia and Microsoft.

Here is the email that many would have got by now..........

Microsoft Actually Pays Nokia To Use Windows Phone 7

Posted: 14 Feb 2011 07:46 AM PST

Ever wondered why Nokia decided to go with Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 platform rather than Android? Maybe it has something to do with that Microsoft will be shelling out billions of bucks to get Windows Phone 7 adopted by Nokia.

According to an article over on Apple Insider by way of The Seattle TImes, during MWC 2011, Nokia boss Stephen Elop admitted that Microsoft is handing over billions to make the switch to Windows Phone after Nokia stock fell 14% when the partnership was announced.

Apparently Elop stated that the payments from Microsoft are to acknowledge the “substantial value to contribute” that Nokia will bring to Microsoft, and that Nokia will still pay royalties for using Windows Phone 7 as standard practice.

Apparently Elop was asked if he was a “Trojan horse” meaning Elop was an ex-Microsoft employee who joined Nokia to steer them towards Windows Phone 7, to which Elop answered “The obvious answer is ‘No’ Thanks for asking.”

There have been claims that Google pay smartphone makers to use the Android platform but thus far no figures of such a deal have shown up.

So perhaps the real reason behind Nokia going with Windows Phone 7 over Android was simply because Microsoft offered more cash? What are our reader’s views on this matter?

Over to everyone for discussion.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
MS pays Nokia to use WP7....the more distrubution of WP7 the more people go to the Windows Market place Microsoft makes their money back end story.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deyons For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
They sold themselves, not us. I'm a fan of MeeGo, not Nokia. Maemo was already dead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
nobody sold me out.

btw, what's the reason again for creating a new thread instead of posting in one of the thousand other ones?
nothing new here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
If you look at Elop's video at the mobile confrence the first thing he talked about is swinging Nokia aginst google. In other words hes their to use Nokia to combat aginst android. If you know Nokia...they prolly want to go with google. If not for the millions they getting from MS. I think Nokia took the money and the board members will bounce as all boards do after reciving lare amounts of money. Then Nokia dies like Sabb or Volvo

The Following User Says Thank You to deyons For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
In so many words... if you feel that way, then yes.

If you don't... then no. And honestly, as a customer you have the ability to take your money elsewhere at anytime you choose.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
In so many words... if you feel that way, then yes.

If you don't... then no. And honestly, as a customer you have the ability to take your money elsewhere at anytime you choose.
Bit late for that Gerby , we already got the N900 and Nokia have dumped on us with Maemo and then promised us Meego.

Has to be a good reason they did this and if you read in between the lines of that email it sure as hell looks like the old money syndrom again so it basically IF true looks like sod you customer we all want the money.

It stinks if this is the case.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by deyons View Post
If you look at Elop's video at the mobile confrence the first thing he talked about is swinging Nokia aginst google. In other words hes their to use Nokia to combat aginst android. If you know Nokia...they prolly want to go with google. If not for the millions they getting from MS. I think Nokia took the money and the board members will bounce as all boards do after reciving lare amounts of money. Then Nokia dies like Sabb or Volvo
I know Volvo is having a harder time transitioning to Chinese owners... but "SAAB" is definitely alive, and functioning!

My only thoughts right now are that Nokia making millions from Microsoft should invest into customer support and either re-start Maemo and or give is MeeGo.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
I always thought that was the reason Nokia went Microsoft. Has M$ ever been envolved in any deal where money didn't exchange hands. SEE XBOX...

Tags
cheese n whine, kill bill v iii, m$ 8 my hamster