or something similar though far less ambitious in scope??

I saw in other threads how popular the angry birds highscore website was, and also the (most excellent) qml space invaders port has now got global highscores which really adds an extra dimension onto the game.... And it occurred to me that maybe there would be some merit in having something centralised across multiple games....

My thoughts were that some form of single sign-on multiple game centralised highscores where you could compare your scores (and possibly achievements?) against everyone in different games might be neat. Games could plug in directly via a simple api/communication protocol but additionally files of popular games (angry birds, bounce, coaster rush etc) could be detected, parsed and uploaded automatically.

Maybe this should be in brainstorm..... but just wondering if this is a good/bad idea or simply re-inventing a wheel which already exists?

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by tpd View Post
or something similar though far less ambitious in scope??

I saw in other threads how popular the angry birds highscore website was, and also the (most excellent) qml space invaders port has now got global highscores which really adds an extra dimension onto the game.... And it occurred to me that maybe there would be some merit in having something centralised across multiple games....

My thoughts were that some form of single sign-on multiple game centralised highscores where you could compare your scores (and possibly achievements?) against everyone in different games might be neat. Games could plug in directly via a simple api/communication protocol but additionally files of popular games (angry birds, bounce, coaster rush etc) could be detected, parsed and uploaded automatically.

Maybe this should be in brainstorm..... but just wondering if this is a good/bad idea or simply re-inventing a wheel which already exists?
It should be easy to do, but it would need hosting and server-side stuff to be done.

The problem is who would pay to host/run such service (supposing the code would be community amde and free) - and if there's actually enough people interested in USING this to justify the investiment

The Following User Says Thank You to Verythrax For This Useful Post:
yes technically it's barely a challenge.. It is as you rightly point out more whether the logistics of hosting are actually worth it.... (quite probably not) - but if interest was that low... at least hosting would be cheap