Notices

One of the amazing thins about the N900 is the possibility to navigate almost any website on the web flawlessly. But still many websites aren't optimised for mobile use, and many mobile sites aren't optimised for touch screens.

There are quite a lot of touch screen optimized websites out there, but most of them only appear if accessed through an Iphone. In Maemo and the N900 they can be accessed by changing your user agent to Iphone, but this is complicated, and can make both these and other sites render badly in MicroB

So in this thread I've tried to find direct links to as many touch screen optimized sites as possible. This way you can bookmark your favorite mobile sites instead of changing your User Agent.

I haven't tested all of them on the N900 yet, but I've taken out the sites that only support webkit or reject other User Agents than Iphone Safari, so all these sites should work with the default browser. If you know about others or test some of these sites please contribute in this thread.

Some of these sites will work in all orientations, but most work best in Portrait mode. To enable / disable portrait mode press: ctrl-shift-o while in the browser.

Google familiy
Gmail
Google Reader
Google docs: ?
Google calendar: ?
Youtube
Social net
Facebook
Digg
Digg for Iphone
Hahlo (Twitter interface)
Flickr
Shopping
Ebay
Hotelwidget Travel
Onetrip Shopping list
ExpenseView
Weather
Weather Underground
Miscellaneous
Bank of America
Food Network
Realtor
101Cookbooks
Itouch game
News
CBS News
ESPN podcenter
Fox News
LA Times
iActuality
NY Times
Productivity
Box.net
Zoho
Remember the Milk

Sources:
Theappleblog
Mashable
Rev2

Other links:
Ipod Optimized
Inspiredology
Googlesearch
Justanother
Iphoneincanada
Iphone design
Smashingmag
Iphone-Ipod
fffffive

Last edited by simons; 2010-01-21 at 16:13.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to simons For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by simons View Post
...in this thread I've tried to find direct links to as many touch screen optimized sites as possible. This way you can bookmark your favorite mobile sites instead of changing your User Agent.
Would you be interested in updating "Webapplications And Websites" in the wiki?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Ah, I hadn't noticed that part of the Wiki. I'd love to do that as I test the websites and add more

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheungs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I want to add meamo.org to that list, but i can't since i can't read long threads with the n900. "next" link is not visible. Any ideas why?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I want to add meamo.org to that list, but i can't since i can't read long threads with the n900. "next" link is not visible. Any ideas why?
this drives me mad as maemo.org doesnt display correctly on the n900 and i am constantly browsing maemo.org using my n900 to optimise my n900.... bit ironic dont ya think lol

Another for Twitter:

www.tweetgo.net

Optimised for Maemo, and IMO beether than Hahlo, can't praise it enough!

The Following User Says Thank You to m165 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by fraaaaanka View Post
this drives me mad as maemo.org doesnt display correctly on the n900 and i am constantly browsing maemo.org using my n900 to optimise my n900.... bit ironic dont ya think lol
Yes. The G1 also formats the pages here correctly, but the N900 browser does not- ironic.

iPad and iPhone user's are flocking in groves to try out the new online touch screen interface to gain access to the webs best sites, making that small on-screen keyboard a thing of the past. With over 11,000 gadget lovers making this their new home page for searching Google, Live news, Killing the keyboard, and much more. Although a little colorful, it saves the average web surfer over 15 min. a day by putting everything on "Speed Dial" so to speak. BookMarkBaby.com is gaining popularity with those who want to reach the destination as fast as possible.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by m165 View Post
Another for Twitter:

www.tweetgo.net

Optimised for Maemo, and IMO beether than Hahlo, can't praise it enough!
Thanks for the link... I've just being playing with tweetgo and I think for as website doing twitter it's better than the twitter website. For a website it is bloody brilliant. Very slick, extremely finger friendly, pleasant on the eyes, works in portrait mode, fast, works well in opera and Firefox and MicroB...

Who is the author? Does anyone know?
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".