Posts: 78 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Toronto
I had this idea that the iphone would potentially make the n800 seem antiquated, however after reading of it's full functionality and such... I am seeing that could be an opportunity for Nokia to really push the n800 as an alternative hand-held multimedia device.

Previously I was not very impressed to ever hear the iphone compared but as time goes by I am finding that the n800 can do everything the iphone plans to do and more.

It's almost like I could envision the 2 devices in a race and right before the finish line the iphone became the iflop and tripped up right before the finish line and not sure if it can actually get up...

I am certainly no fanboy of the n800 it does have some things which need to be fixed, but the good thing is, the community has the ability to provide those fixes rather than being held at the reigns of the corporation.

I just expected so much more from Apple, but then again when you look at how proprietary they have been with the iPod, and now they have sold themself out to intel their credibility doesn't stand so strong.

I remember when Apple was struggling, looking like it was not able to continue on in the market from making some really big mistakes, I hope this is not a re-run!

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
for me it's a cold shower to hear that the SIM card is soldered. scary to put your head on the block of a telecom op.
never, sorry.

I believe there is a SIM slot in the phone, but the phone is locked to AT&T and no idea how fast it will be before it is hacked.

Click on 'SIM Card Slot' in the left panel to see location.

The SIM card is not soldered, but the battery is soldered.

Means: either throw it away after 2 years, or expect an expensive battery exchange by Apple service.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by testerj View Post

..... and now they have sold themself out to intel their credibility doesn't stand so strong.
They didn't sell out. The PPC was dead. Could not go faster without heat problems and Apple got tired of promises and waiting for the impossible. Intel, and their faster and more energy efficient processor was a natural way to go. Yes, it ticked off Apple purist but Motorola could not deliver the goods.

Apple will fix the iPhone as they usually do with their products. There is also a reason for keeping the iPod priority. If it had been open source, I do not think it would have gotten very far along. They could however open things up for development and then certify applications as "for Ipod" or whatever.

Last edited by sapporobaby; 2007-06-30 at 22:25.

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
The SIM card is not soldered, but the battery is soldered.

Means: either throw it away after 2 years, or expect an expensive battery exchange by Apple service.
sorry misread or got confused. maybe they know that after 2 years, the usage value of the.iphone will be so low compared to possible iphone x or other competition devices that it won't worth changing the battery?

The Following User Says Thank You to Seb Per For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Seb Per View Post
sorry misread or got confused. maybe they know that after 2 years, the usage value of the.iphone will be so low compared to possible iphone x or other competition devices that it won't worth changing the battery?
Good point. I spoke to a few friends here in Finland (in and out of Nokia) about this battery issue. They do not think a wired battery will work with the phone. It is nice that the iPod batteries are somewhat user replaceable (have to order a kit), but the one piece jobbie will not cut it.

Are you serious? a soldered battery connection? What on earth are they thinking over at Cupertino?

Users don't replace the battery, Apple does :/

Anyways, most of the quibbles about mms/ichat/copy+paste will likely be in free updates. Its a pretty solid platform and steve-o said the same OS is moving over to the ipods... they are building a nice new mobile platform. I just expect it to reach full polish faster than our Nokia tablets.

I hope Nokia keeps up this attention they are giving the N800 and keep building up the Maemo platform.

iFlop is such a hilarious title for this thread. I'm seeing news reports that Piper Jaffray estimates 500,000 "iFlops" sold the first weekend. WTF would they have to do to not be an "iFlop"???

I typically visit this site thinking I'll learn new things about the n800 (I certainly did yesterday thanks to Mara).

My image of Linux users is that they are MORE sophisticated than average computer users, not drastically LESS so. Puhlease!