Active Topics

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Is this device works with our N900?

It is a matter of curiosity. After reading this article and see references to this device by various means ... I think it is an Israeli company in charge of that unit.

Does anyone know if it really works for all devices, inccluido on N900?

http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/...uring-traffic/

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma

According to the website the N900 is supported. I bet they can even get to the MMS messages, when Ovi Suite can't.

If you are trying to hide something I suggest you re-flash early and re-flash often. If you are simply concerned about intrusive unwarranted searches then maybe encyption is the answer. No doubt there are going to be cowboys who want to look at everything and there are going to be responsible officers who will tread lightly in this area. My concern is the "fishing expedition".

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
I have luck ... I have nothing to hide.

It is curiosity. As you say not even OVI supports the N900 but the device itself.

I'm pretty sure it would have a fallback where if it doesn't recognise the phone, it just copies all forms of memory it can access. In the N900's case stealing your ~ then using external tools to work on it will be possible.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
What if your usb port fell out?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Geez. You're still not making panic wipe buttons using dd and qbw?

/paranoia

Or you can lock the phone with a random code that you don't know (and reboot!), which IIRC you will need a PC to unlock.

Or after you read those messages, delete them, and fill mmcblk0p2 with a large file from urandom and delete it.

But IIRC, you cannot read stuff off rootfs without backupmenu etc. So stuff any super seekrit messages in an encrpyted container on the UBIFS.

Anyone know if you can use the built-in security/TrustZone on the A8?

if you've got nothing to hide then you shouldnt be worried that this device will do anything but damage your phone.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
if you've got nothing to hide then you shouldnt be worried that this device will do anything but damage your phone.
Its not about having anything to hide. Even if it was a wiped phone, factory new, I wouldnt want them touching it.

Assuming their device works over USB, the fix is to disable USB data transfer through some kernel changes (so the only thing USB would work for is charging and flashing, both PC suite mode and mass storage mode would be non-functional). If you need to move files on and off the device, you could set something up that works over WiFi. Set something up in a way that, unless you knew the secret, you wouldn't be able to use it and access the files on the phone. Done right, it should be possible to prevent the cops from being able to get anything off the phone at all (or install any software on it) and without using any encryption at all. (the no-encryption bit is good if you are in the UK where the RIP act can be used to force you to hand over your keys)

Thats the beauty of having what is most likely the most hackable 3G mobile phone ever made

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
That's absurd.

What gives them the right to view all your personal files, even if you have not commited any crime, and without a search warrant.

Are you saying you'd be ok if the police went randonly knocking on peoples doors, walking in, imaging all the electronic devices' harddrives, just to check if their up to something.

"it can be used by police to extract your cell phone data during a routine traffic stop"