I'm having problems sending messages to my gf, my most used contact. Messages always pending, won't save, can't open conversation etc. I was told that i have a corrupt database and to type this on in xterminal:
1. First of all make sure ALL conversations are closed including the Conversations window itself and then preferably go into Offline/Airplane/Tablet mode so it's not possible you'll receive any new messages of any kind.

2. Open a terminal and change to root:

Code:
sudo gainroot

3. Change to the directory where the database is stored:

Code:
cd /home/user/.rtcomm-eventlogger

4. Read the contents out the database and write it to a new file (NOTE: The filename is for the newer version of the database file introduced in PR1.2 I believe!!):

Code:
echo .dump | sqlite3 el-v1.db | sqlite3 el-v1-new.db

5. Move the existing file to another file to back it up:

Code:
mv el-v1.db el-v1-old.db

6. Move the newly created file to the proper name:

Code:
mv el-v1-new.db el-v1.db

7. You might need change the permissions on the file:

Code:
chown user el-v1.db
chgrp users el-v1.db

8. For completeness, why not reboot the phone:

Code:
init 6

After i type in the first two codes, everytime i attempt code 4 and hit enter, it just comes up with the same line of cd /home/user/.rtcomm-eventlogger
What a i doing wrong?!

To tell you the truth. I actually have the SAME experince with the conversation. And also only happens with my GF (Does the N900 is jealous or something?) Anyway I also read about that but haven't tried it.

So here's what i do to fix it. Delete the conversation (all message) of my GF and restart the phone. that's all. Doesn't bother much.

Last edited by Garcel; 2011-04-14 at 14:46.

Does the problem not re occurr? I cannot get past number 3 on the xterminal process. n900 must be jealous haha. Something to do with the most used contact

Yup. its happening again sometimes. I just do the same procedure. Don't want to make things complicated. But maybe someone else will post here to help you with this procedure. Try sending a private message on the person that thought you this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Garcel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Orlando, FL
Originally Posted by goonercraig View Post

4. Read the contents out the database and write it to a new file (NOTE: The filename is for the newer version of the database file introduced in PR1.2 I believe!!):

Code:
echo .dump | sqlite3 el-v1.db | sqlite3 el-v1-new.db

What a i doing wrong?!
I have had this happen, and usually after I reboot the phone (open x term, root; reboot) everything is fine. It doesn't happen very often, usually it's only after sending a MMS with fMMS. Occasionally it happens after receiving an MMS, but usually just when sending. In regards to step 4 not working, are you typing an l (lowercase L) between the commands, or | (pipe)? It should be the pipe symbol, which redirects the output of the first command to the input of the second, and then the output of the second command to the input of the third. To get the | (pipe symbol) you can bring up the on screen keyboard, press the (1#+) number option, then shift. It will be on the right side of the keyboard, below the & and above the backspace key. Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Medic7051 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
command 3 should be:
Code:
cd /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger
edit: command 7 is not needed if you execute all these commands as user.

Last edited by Saturn; 2011-04-14 at 18:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Or maybe you should look for a new GF :P

The Following User Says Thank You to fasza2 For This Useful Post:
Thankyou so much to everyone who replied. I think i'll keep my gf though lol
I managed to clear my conversations and call log, dont know how ive done it. So i can send texts now and they are logged but guess what my signal is all over the place, keeps disappearing and when i do have it, my texts wont send with an error message saying "invalid message centre number". I have set my message number with the provider. Give it 20mins and working again but this has happened all day. Problem after problem, i'm at wits end. Anyone know how to fix THIS one>?

This fix did not completely take care of my problem, but I finally found a fix that worked. Even after doing the above I still had messed up conversation order and a red exclamation point. With some SQL updates to the database those are finally resolved.

See my post here for details