Active Topics

Notices

Hi
I am a nokia user with symbian but New to maemo talk with not much expirience with MeeGo or maemo

i m thinking going for the N9 when will be out, but i am reading there are no many apps for it, like a task manager,folder hidders, games etc
at ovi also for the n900 not much either

so i would like to ask the experts in here please (and dont take me wrong-i like this N9-) to help me with my choice about the N9(i guess is going to be little over priced):

1-can i download the apps from the n900 (are few here in maemo talk) to N9?
2-will be apps from android for the N9?via some myriam patch?
3-is this QT promising for developers in here to have more apps

thanks in advance

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by babis3g View Post
1-can i download the apps from the n900 (are few here in maemo talk) to N9?
In general, the answer is no. At a minimum, the majority of Maemo 5 applications will need to be recompiled, adjusted for the changes MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan brings, or (most often) both.

2-will be apps from android for the N9?via some myriam patch?
Myriam has written software called Alien Dalvik that allows Android applications to run on non-Android operating systems such as MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan. However:
  • Alien Dalvik has been successfully demonstrated by Myriam, but it's not clear how well the software works in situations not so tightly controlled as company demos.
  • Alien Dalvik isn't software an end user buys and installs to run any Android application he or she might want. Instead, the software is licensed by the operator of an application store and individually wrapped around each Android application sold.
  • It's not yet certain if Nokia or any other company has licensed Alien Dalvik for an application store.

3-is this QT promising for developers in here to have more apps
Qt is promising, certainly. It's difficult to predict how many applications will be available for the N9 though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
thanks for your time answering
i belive this handset will go well, even if nokia seems not care much about it and i am looking forward even at the moment are not apps for it ... to get one as soonest will out in market
i am starting saving money
THANK YOU