Active Topics

Hi guys, first post and all that. Long time user of an N900 and I love it, but I'm now looking at an upgrade to the N9, as everything I've seen about the OS and the phone makes me lust for one.

Anyway, I've got a few things on my mind about it, particularly because I'm in the UK.

I've read about how the phone comes preloaded with maps/drive relating to the continent you buy it from. So, logic would dictate that as long as I get one from somewhere in Europe, I should be fine? Does this also mean I'll be able to access the Ovi store and Music via a UK network? If I buy one from outside of the EU, is it possible to either - download the maps/drive plugins for Europe/a working app store/music store etc - or is a reflash with an EU rom possible?

I've also read that there were very limited numbers of N9's produced. I really want to get hold of one, but I'm torn between waiting for the exact spec I want (either a cyan 64gb or a white one when they are released) or just buying one now as I'm paranoid about availability. Does anyone have any reccomendations on that?

Finally, the version of Fennec which supports flash - is that still in the works? I can't seem to find definitive info on it. I'd really like a phone which supports flash. The only other thing the N9 is missing for me is a hardware camera button. That would make it the absolute perfect phone for me if it did.

Thanks for reading my wall of text!

The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_F For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
My maps came preloaded with a shitload of countries, here in norway.

I flashed the norwegian PR 1.1 last night, let me pull up maps to see which are preloaded...

- No maps installed.

Oh well. Also, it doesnt matter. Just connect to wifi and download what maps you feel like, no big deal. Doesnt matter where you got it, i think.

On my norway-bought N8 I just downloaded the entire world, nps.

Not really a very limited ammount of N9s produced. Its like any other phone. The insane batshit crazy "only 92000 devices" or whatever thing is rumors and was probably meant for the N950, which would make more sense. Just calm down and get the one you want. As theyre releasing a white one Im sure production isnt halted.

But theres no cyan 64gb. Only black and white come in 64gb as far as I know.

Im still hoping someone will make doubletapping the lockkey launch the camera, and maybe volume rocker keys for focus and capture, but not sure if thats even possible.

As for flash, I doubt it. HTML5 though, if that helps you out at all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Andy_F View Post
Hi guys, first post and all that. Long time user of an N900 and I love it, but I'm now looking at an upgrade to the N9, as everything I've seen about the OS and the phone makes me lust for one.

Anyway, I've got a few things on my mind about it, particularly because I'm in the UK.

I've read about how the phone comes preloaded with maps/drive relating to the continent you buy it from. So, logic would dictate that as long as I get one from somewhere in Europe, I should be fine? Does this also mean I'll be able to access the Ovi store and Music via a UK network? If I buy one from outside of the EU, is it possible to either - download the maps/drive plugins for Europe/a working app store/music store etc - or is a reflash with an EU rom possible?

I've also read that there were very limited numbers of N9's produced. I really want to get hold of one, but I'm torn between waiting for the exact spec I want (either a cyan 64gb or a white one when they are released) or just buying one now as I'm paranoid about availability. Does anyone have any reccomendations on that?

Finally, the version of Fennec which supports flash - is that still in the works? I can't seem to find definitive info on it. I'd really like a phone which supports flash. The only other thing the N9 is missing for me is a hardware camera button. That would make it the absolute perfect phone for me if it did.

Thanks for reading my wall of text!
Can't answer to all of your questions, but here goes.

Maps wont certainly be problem, you got a LOT of maps that you can preload to the device and UK is of course on the list.

Can't answer on the Store question, but i would think you can at least access Nokia Store, dunno about Nokia Music.

I really wouldn't be worried about the rumor of there being some definite number of N9's made. Get the white 64GB or Cyan, i would have if i had the patience.

Don't expect flash to ever come to N9, be very surprised if it does. Fennec team has slowed down the Maemo development and focused more on Android, Adobe is slowly moving away from mobile flash.
Listening Nokia devs it sounds like N9's official browser wont ever get flash either. They want to make streamlined, fast browser, something that i don't actually mind. N9's browser just needs more of some core features.

I would think we have quite a bit of UK N9 users that can answer better on the regional questions on what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-11-11 at 18:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
To add to the other posts - Store and Music are fine - UK options are there (and UK keyboard and localisation options etc.) because I guess they only decided not to sell it to us quite late in the game. The phone detects where you are from the sim card you put in it, so there's no problem. Nothing's "preloaded" based on region, you just grab the maps using the built-in downloader and you're set.

Fennec works - currently a custom build by shmerl, apparently soon an official Mozilla build. Flash support in Fennec relies on Adobe and Nokia agreeing licensing, which, given Adobe's announcements this week is looking even shakier than before. Fingers crossed though, it's still a possibility.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Thanks very much guys, some useful information for me there, especially on the maps and stores. Although I would prefer it, I guess I can live without the flash plugin. I've done without a working version on my N900 for about 6 months now anyway.

If anyone else has experience of using an N9 in the UK I'd be interested to hear how you've got on with it.

Last edited by Andy_F; 2011-11-11 at 19:38.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Helsinki
...Even still there is lot good applications kind maps and ovi-music.
This new radio functionality at ovi-music is great.

If you configure your googletalk with some other jabber-server to work with msn. You can use messenger. With n9 there's no msn plugin.

N900 is better computer than n9.

....edit_start

....edit_end
I got my mitts on a Switzerland N9 which had half a dozen European maps pre-loaded. I trashed these and from the map settings you can do this:
Manage maps - <Option menu> - Add maps - (Pick a continent from Africa/America/Asia/Australia-Oceania/Europe) - Europe/United Kingdom - pick one or all :-)
So just so see if this device is limited, I downloaded the maps for the Cayman Islands (America). The I tried Qatar (Asia). All downloaded happily and installed. I would imagine that any N9 can grab the maps from anywhere in the world that are accessible in the application, based on this brief test.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
If anyone else has experience of using an N9 in the UK I'd be interested to hear how you've got on with it.
On Nokia Maps and Drive, I can say I did a 7 hr round trip from Manchester to Peterborough last week and it worked a dream. It lost GPS positioning 3 times going over the pennines, but it was pretty remote and dreadful weather. GPS was reconnected each time within five seconds. I don't miss Android's maps or Navigation!