Notices

I've just released the first beta of a port (well, re-write really - the original is very windows based) of Password Safe originally by Bruce Schneier.

It keeps a small encrypted list of usernames, passwords and associated notes. It should be functional, but please don't use it as the sole storage place for anything too important just yet!

Details
770 ready install kit

All feedback welcome, particularly around the main things keeping it a beta - testing the stability and binary compatibility with the original application, and probably some user interface improvements.

Have Fun!

The Following User Says Thank You to PeteW For This Useful Post:
Thanks for this Pete! I have been missing SplashID on the 770 and I guess this can be a good replacement.

Here are some prliminary suggestions:
1. Clicking on an entry will just show it's details (not editable). An Edit/delete button will let you edit/delete the entry.
2. Request for a list view and a filter dropdown based on categories.
3. Graphical icons(?)
4. Full screen button support
5. Specify default file to open upon run.

Any way you can upload this to the itT software area?

Thanks again.

Thanks - all good ideas.

I'll have a think about categories. The file structure doesn't support them at the moment, but it might be a better way of presenting the group field - more versatile than the strict tree structure of the original.

Keep the ideas coming folks!

If you have not done so, I would add this to the Software section.

uploaded here ... and upgraded. Now:
  • Entry view defaults to read only
  • Reopens last file on restart (doesn't remember password - data stays encrypted between runs)

Last edited by PeteW; 2006-01-08 at 17:42.

Thanks for the great app Pete!
copied over a password file from windows pwsafe and it works perfectly.

My only gripe is that when you're viewing an entry you can only see the first 13 characters of a password, and some of my passwords are alot longer then that It would be nice if the password was shown on it's own line.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Works great for me.
I used to have Keyring on my palm : I modified a java viewer to allow export to XML
I then imported my data in PasswordSafeSWT (Java) and copied the file to my 770 !
O Fred

This is a good application and it works very well for a beta. Here are some questions, observations and suggestions. Please do not take them as criticism:

- I get a small window that says "Save failed" if I select "Save as..." and then hit "cancel". Should the file requestor not just go away instead?

- After selecting a password entry from the list, there is no default highlighted for the "OK/Password/Edit" buttons at the bottom of the window. This forces the use of the stylus to make the window go away. Sometimes it is possible to use the arrow keys to highlight the buttons and then select "OK", but it doesn't seem to always work. In any case, it seems like extra work. It would be nice to have "OK" highlighted by default so then one could hit the middle button in the keypad to make the window go away. As a bonus, the "Escape" button could also make it go away.

- It would be nice to reorder the buttons in the password entry windows to have the "Password" buttons on the left, then "Edit" and finally "Done" on the right. This way one wouldn't have to reach across the screen to hit "OK". Then again, I'm right handed.

- It would be nice to have a dot next to the menu options showing the current selection between "Small icons" and "Large icons."

- How does one delete an entry?

- What is the "X" icon for in the bottom menu bar? It seems to close the database but not the application. The button at the top right of the window seems sufficient to close the application. Maybe there could be a small "trash can" icon or something to delete an entry?

- The database closes when you close the cover on the 770. Is this a feature? I suppose it's nice so a stranger can't just pick up the device and find the password list wide open.

- It might be nice to have a "find" feature for when there are many screenfuls of passwords.

Overall this is a great app! Thanks again for porting it.

Last edited by pdafan; 2006-01-16 at 04:12.

darcon:
I agree. The view entry screen doesn't work as well as it should - everything is too small. I'll see what I can do.

pdafan:
Great feedback - thanks.
The delete button only appears when you are editing an entry... bit of a usecrime really.
The close database on cover close is a feature (one I really want) but should be an option.

It's a great application. I think Nokia should include it if it is out of beta status.

A nice extra feature would be a status bar icon with a dropdown menu if clicked to browse the passwords. This would allow faster searching if you need a password in your browser window: just go out of full screen, select the account from the icon, paste the copied password in the browser (maybe a paste button would be nice in opera).
The dropdown menu could consist of you password groups or a alphabetical list to scroll through.

Example:
1. Click icon in status bar.
2. Menu appears with: "A" and any other active accounts with other letters.
3. Choos "A": list with account appear: "Amazon", "Anything"
4. When you select "Amazon" a new menu appears allowing "Copy username", "Copy password", "Copy special entry 1..10"(?), "Edit".

P.S.: could the application use the builtin nokia pin menu. Is this application even available for other apps?