Active Topics

Notices

Is there any software that will allow me to download maps of certain cities and use that for offline navigation?

Try searching for Maemo Mapper by Gnuite. Quite a handy little app. Allows you to download several different map types (google, virtual earth,etc.) at various zoom levels directly to an internal repository for offline viewing. What's better is that if you have a bluetooth GPS reciever you can use it as a navigation tool with spoken directions (sounds like Stephen Hawking guiding your journey) and *most* everything else coming from a dedicated navigation device.

Thanks

can you choose which cities you want to download? Like for example, I am going to Tahoe this weekend, can I download all of tahoe for my trip?

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
you can use the app called winmapper, that will allow you to specify a city, and which zoom levels to include.

you'll have to search for it, as i dont have the link handy
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

is winmapper for n800? all I find on google is a hotkey mapper

Originally Posted by jgallen23 View Post
Thanks

can you choose which cities you want to download? Like for example, I am going to Tahoe this weekend, can I download all of tahoe for my trip?
Yes, you can specify an area to download, zoom levels, and what type of map (street, satelite, hybrid).

http://gnuite.com:8080/nokia770/maemo-mapper/

Originally Posted by jgallen23 View Post
Thanks

You can download those maps directly in Maemo Mapper, yes... A future version will allow you to specify a single point of reference (e.g. "Tahoe") and download surrounding maps.

Until then, you just need to find the latitude and longitude of the corners of the rectangle inside which you'd like to download maps. You can use Google Earth to find the coordinates easily.

Wow, winmapper works like a charm. It downloaded maps quickly and easily. Now, I am going to go try them!