Active Topics

Notices

Simplictionary is a simple reader for dictionaries in XDXF format.
It is almost entirely written in QML (except the usual launcher part and a tiny helper class for getting a list of installed dictionaries from the filesystem).

You can download it from the homepage:
http://simplictionary.garage.maemo.org/

As usual, comments and feedback are highly appreciated.
Please also note that Simplictionary isn't in any way optimized performance-wise.
Neither do I expect to get the time to optimize it.
It's a pretty quick hack to display dictionaries in XDXF format as this was what I needed at the moment.
I still hope some of you will find it useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
What would it take to optimise this? I can't get it to work in my N9 at all, and fail to see how it's useful in its current form. To begin with a dictionary of any size takes a long time to load, which makes switching back and forth between one language direction to another (German-English to English-German, say), which are different dictionaries, impractical in the field. And it is impossible to find a word in the dictionary. Scrolling is nice and smooth, but a minute of scrolling in a sizeable dictionary won't even get you out of the first letter of the alphabet, or even close. There is a search function, but typing more than two characters locks up the app with over 90% of CP going to it and I have to kill it.

So how can this app be made useful? There are a HUGE number of dictionaries available, so it would certainly be fantastic if there were a way to use it.

And @Wonko, would you consider posting this in the N9/Harmattan section? I only found it by accident.

Last edited by noetus; 2011-11-14 at 22:26.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
I second @noetus comments. It will be very useful with several small tweaks(quicker loading, working search). Anybody knows of other dictionary viewers/apps for N9?

Last edited by zlatko; 2012-01-22 at 09:34.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Offtopic:Found the perfect dictionary viewer: DctionaryStar - http://store.ovi.com/content/244927
StarDict at it best!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Simplictionary is a simple reader for dictionaries in XDXF format.
It is almost entirely written in QML (except the usual launcher part and a tiny helper class for getting a list of installed dictionaries from the filesystem).

You can download it from the homepage:
http://simplictionary.garage.maemo.org/

As usual, comments and feedback are highly appreciated.
Please also note that Simplictionary isn't in any way optimized performance-wise.
Neither do I expect to get the time to optimize it.
It's a pretty quick hack to display dictionaries in XDXF format as this was what I needed at the moment.
I still hope some of you will find it useful.
Hello Wonko,

I noticed you distribute Simplictionary under the GPL.
Would you mind to share the source code, perhaps by a
link to a GIT repository?