Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Oh no.

I've tried plugging in my external hard drive into all three USB slots on my Emachine, Windows XP, service pack 1 computer and I'm getting this error.

I was using service pack 3 but I just finished reformatting my computer hoping this would resolve the issue.

I also tried running Ubuntu, but nothing happened. Not even an error pop up.

And I was in such a good mood. *lol*

This has everything on it.... All of my pictures, videos, banking passwords, books and files... Basically my entire life backed up on this one stupid piece of metal.

I might have gotten a virus, I'm not sure, but I really don't do anything weird online like looking at pictures of Texas roadkill bondage images.

I don't know what happened.

Someone please offer me any suggestions on what to do next.

Many super thanks ahead if you respond to this.

Omgosh.

After plugging in the USB thingy over 50 times in all three slots and getting the same error each and every time, it's finally back to working again.

All I did was unplug the power for 1 second and plugged it back in again.

I should really start hating Windows XP.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Someone please offer me any suggestions on what to do next.
Implement a working(!) backup strategy!

If your entire digital life can be wiped out by a single failing HDD there's something very wrong with your IT.
Make a list of everything you can't afford to lose, get a 2nd HDD (better even a 3rd one to be stored in a different location like your parent's house or your office in case your house with the first 2 HDDs burns down) and back it up on a regular basis (daily, weekly, monthly - whatever setback seems to be acceptable in case of failure).

A very important point that many people forget:
Check on a regular basis if your backups still work, even if you have no need for a backup at that moment!

If you're paranoid make sure not to take your "offshore" backup home for checking or updating without putting a replacement in place. After all your house could burn down right when you have all your backups there for updating.

^ Thank you.

That spooked me so much that I'm actually looking at a site right now that provides a service to back up all of your hard drive junk online for a simple, yearly, horror fee. *lol*