I connected the N900 using the given a/v cable to a Dell 24inch monitor that has composite in. I connected the yellow end to the dell monitor composite in. I dont see any video at all even while playing videos.

I searched threads in here, and followed the advice of one. who said to first connect the monitor end... and then to the N900.. I did that still no picture on the Dell monitor..

any suggestions on how to get the TV out to work?

thanks

-Bob

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Are you sure it has composite in and not COMPONENT in? They are a very different beast.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Did you select the composite source on the monitor?

Try selecting that FIRST, then connect the cable (already connected to the monitor) to the n900.

It needs to detect a live source there before it will enable video out. You should see your desktop on the monitor if it's working...

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
also remember to matach n900 tv output system settings with your monitor
if monitor is pal but you got imported n900 like i do you wont get picture or it will be b&w only with no audio till you change tv output to pal instead of ntsc

Yes it worked. The display resolution is very poor though.

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Yes it worked. The display resolution is very poor though.
are u sure?.. i tried it on a 50" hdtv.. and it has good resolution.. not bad tough...

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by chase15 View Post
are u sure?.. i tried it on a 50" hdtv.. and it has good resolution.. not bad tough...
Well its displaying it with NTSC/PAL analog resolution, 720*576 for PAL (little less for NTSC) so on a FullHD display it is tiny or poor, if monitor doesn't rescale it. Televisions will rescale it better and HDTV (I suppose you mean HD Ready) is much closer to analog resolutions its not that bad.

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

here, in the hotel I have a tv, just can't get tv out working. These are the sockets it has:

I connect to those on the 3rd picture, neither video nor sound comes out.

As I understand, I don't have to enable N900's tv out, connecting the cables should just work, either PAL or NTSC. Should't there be some icon in status area like when you connect headphones?

P.S. I can't search 'tv out' on the Talk, words are too short

UPDATE: made it finaly working, AV3 was for section 3, and I was connecting cables to section 4 so I needed AV4 channel.

Last edited by sph; 2010-01-09 at 21:29.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by tuminoid View Post
Well its displaying it with NTSC/PAL analog resolution, 720*576 for PAL (little less for NTSC) so on a FullHD display it is tiny or poor, if monitor doesn't rescale it.
In addition to the (up)scaling done by TV it is (down)scaled by N900 too.

It is not full 720*576 due to overscan. By default the 800x480 display is downscaled to 642x411 for PAL and 621x334 for NTSC. It can be tuned a bit but for reading text it is still horrible.

Here is my script for tuning it for my LCD panel
Code:
echo ntsc > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/display1/timings
echo 36,22 > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/overlay2/position
echo 684,456 > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/overlay2/output_size
This can be run when device is connected to TV. Your TV may be better at not ignoring borders so you may try even bigger output_size and smaller upper left corner position.

Best output (e.g. for emulators) would be to have extra framebuffer for PAL/NTSC in native resolution without any scaling.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2010-02-25 at 13:12.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
made it finaly working, AV3 was for section 3, and I was connecting cables to section 4 so I needed AV4 channel.
And also remember to connect the cables to the TV _first_, then the N900..

Last edited by TA-t3; 2010-01-11 at 09:05.