Strange problem - when my wi-fi on my home PC is unlocked I can connect with my N900 downstairs no problem.

However I prefer to have a WAN lock on it

When I enter the code I always get the error on my N900 stating:

Internet connection failed
Unable to retrieve IP address from Server
Try again?

I have tried selecting WPA with a pre-shared key instead of WAN - still the same problem.

The strange thing is - it was working the other day - now it isnt!

I faced the same problem , i had only one solution to this : you could read my post on this topic and reply back

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63167

I still can't connect even after i tried to change the type of encryption , even without encryption it wont find the IP ,

So i had to manually create a WiFi profile and set up the IP address and DNS manually it only works that way .

And try to see that your SSID is not hidden , cause it wont work that way too .

Edit : Also check that your WiFi is not in Power saver mode . Ow ya and maybe if it was working for you the other day , try to reboot your router and your phone and try again , this mostly also causes the problem .

Last edited by DaReaper; 2010-10-16 at 13:55.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by FP125 View Post
Strange problem - when my wi-fi on my home PC is unlocked I can connect with my N900 downstairs no problem.

However I prefer to have a WAN lock on it

When I enter the code I always get the error on my N900 stating:

Internet connection failed
Unable to retrieve IP address from Server
Try again?

I have tried selecting WPA with a pre-shared key instead of WAN - still the same problem.

The strange thing is - it was working the other day - now it isnt!
Turning off power saving mode as recommended by DaReaper is a good start. If it still doesn't work, try upgrade the firmware of the WiFi router.

Get back here if you still have problem thereafter.

Last edited by 9000; 2010-10-16 at 16:44.

Upgraded router firmware - no joy

Gone into my connection settings - entered the advanced tab and put down my IP, subnet mask and default gateway numbers ( obtained from entering ipconfig in system command )

Use Proxy is unchecked

Still getting the same error when I try to go online

Last edited by FP125; 2010-10-16 at 15:21.

Upgraded router firmware - no joy

Gone into my connection settings - entered the advanced tab and put down my IP, subnet mask and default gateway numbers ( obtained from entering ipconfig in system command )

Use Proxy is unchecked
Also try to enter the Primary and Secondary DNS address manually and then try . Under Advanced > Other > set power saving off and try (this might increase battery consumption )

Try another encryption method , and if all this fails , try to see that DHCP server is enabled in your router settings , and also change to AES-CCPM encryption protocol .

Where do I get the DNS address from - none come up on ipconfig???

Do tick use proxy or leave it unticked?

I have put power saving off as requested

Sorry for sounding a noob - what is DHCP - looked through my router setup - cant see this

Where do I get the DNS address from - none come up on ipconfig???

Do tick use proxy or leave it unticked?

I have put power saving off as requested

Sorry for sounding a noob - what is DHCP - looked through my router setup - cant see this
To Find out the DNS servers IP's Do the following :

In CMD type : ipconfig /all > Find for the Connected Media , you will see the 2 DNS servers > input them on your N900 - Advanced > Other > Primary and Secondary DNS .

Or you could go to your Routers IP - and on the homepage you will usually find the Primary and Secondary DNS IP's .

2) Leave proxy Un ticked if your not using a proxy to browse .

3) To See if DHCP server is enabled go to your Router's IP > Configuration > DHCP Server or DHCP (Enable DHCP Server there)

Ipconfig / all confirms DHCP is enabled

Only comes up with one DNS server ( and its the same as my DHCP server and default gateway address )

Ipconfig / all confirms DHCP is enabled

Only comes up with one DNS server ( and its the same as my DHCP server and default gateway address )

Okay then use that one DNS server as primary DNS , leave the secondary DNS blank .

No joy - comes up with ' proxy server us refusing connections '

MicroB is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections