I was thinking about this when I was replying to a jolla post and n9 vs n900.

To me they are both the best OS's I've used on a phone, but they were like ying and yang. n900 was a mobile computer with a phone tacked on, and the n9 was a pure smartphone modern experience, more gesture one handed use base, less computer based. So I would love to have both integrated but meego as a phone and maemo as a tablet. Work QT into both so you can easily post apps etc..

So if I make elop restart maemo/meego, I would put this on a yearly 'apple cycle' one launch a year and great devices. Totally high end speced best out there deal.

My dream meego phone would be 4-4.3", a good one handed size. Top end android type guts like we see in the GS3 or One X. Pureview 808 camera, 808 sound quality and connectivity. So basicly a pureview with GS3 guts, better screen, and LTE.

The other I would love to see meego continue would be a yearly cycle of 3 family devices, one that is very much like our n9, and the middle or basic model. A second that is like a pureview, camera/multimedia based, thicker and heavier to add those. A third as a n950 with a keyboard, the hacker/dev/business model.

Then for meamo a surface type tablet, 7-10 inches, the keyboard attachments, tons of ports of usb, support extenal hardrives and acc. memory card expantion, maybe multiple slots for that. Tons of onboard memory. Really make this something that could make a laptop obsolete. Really update microb flash and html 5, work QT into it so you can cross develop apps for both and make meego/maemo a team of devices.

A maemo tablet seems to solve so many tablet issues for me. Android tablets are just blown up phones with blown up phone apps. But they way Maemo works you could almost just blow it up to bigger screens, the navigation, the multitasking, the homescreen experience. All work work great. Just update the apps for the size. Ipads have the app support but its just a lazy app tray/launcher with no real homescreen experience and the homebutton is a waste.

I can imagine living in a appleless and microsoft less computing world. All maemo/meego all the time.

I know this is pointless and will never happen, but I don't think its a stupid idea. Nokia didn't release n9 sales numbers but a lot of people that tried to break down sales and figure it would thought that the n9 outsold the L800. Now the n9 was released and then said its dead, no more this is it. So there was no hope, no advertising, etc... The L800 came out and this is the future, microsoft and nokia advertising and supporting it. Maemo wasn't as bleak when it was launched, but little support, quickly dropped but I remember it being on amazon's top selling phone list for awhile. So both these abandoned platforms did really well considering that they are bastards of phone OS's. And if we had a yearly launch cycle, I'm sure support and the eco system would thrive.

I honestly think if any product family could challenge apple it would be this. Samsung can do it with the phones, but fails with the tablets, Microsoft is trying, but kinda sinking. Ubutnu and jolla are coming, but to be honset none really have more than a phone, and I don't know if any of those (excited as i am for them) are really "better" than meego on a phone.

Last edited by waldo; 2013-01-03 at 18:11. Reason: correction

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waldo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
I 'am agree but also in all devices a micro-sd slot and more battery life or changable Battery.
I will have not a problem if my N9 is 2 mm thigger if i have then 20 hours battery life even with havy use WiFi or 8 hours Navigation.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
I will have not a problem if my N9 is 2 mm thigger if i have then 20 hours battery life even with havy use WiFi or 8 hours Navigation.
I do.

Plus I am sure 2mm isnt going to be enough unless the original battery is only 2mm thick. (it probably have to be minimum double capacity to last 20 hours).

Who needs a sdcard slot? get over it. Get on the Cloud.

Last edited by balisingh; 2013-01-03 at 20:41.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Fsck the cloud. I wouldn't trust even a paid storage provider with the only copy of my data.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by balisingh View Post
I use the cloud, but its problematic. Data, and more importantly high speed data is not everywhere, Data is not unlimited on my devices, and battery life in general sucks.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, music, videos, etc... I like to have some of this on my device.
-Streaming music takes a lot more battery than just playing it
-Steaming high quality video tears through data

I love the cloud for things like RSS, bookmarks, contacts, calendar, email, social, etc... low bandwidth stuff.

I use netflix, and spotify and lastfm, but I don't relay on them alone.

I have a 64gb n9 and I use all of it. I have a lot of music on it, quite a few games for emumaster, and some of your Playstation games are not small. I have books, and comic books on there to read( a comic series can easily take more than a gig of storage), and I'll put a tv series on there that I like that can be a good chunk of storage.

Yes the cloud is great, but its even better if used in combination with physical storage. That means you can have much more at your fingertips, and more reliable access to it. If tablets are going to replace my laptop, I need storeage and a lot of it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waldo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
I honestly think if any product family could challenge apple it would be this.
Apple is already in the decline, Android is beating them pretty bad. Every 3 out of 4 phones sold runs Android.

On tablets it still has some way to go, but the new Nexii seem to be breaking the ice there as well. It's just the matter of time.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Who needs a sdcard slot?
I do.

Get on the Cloud.
Bleah!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Fsck the cloud. I wouldn't trust even a paid storage provider with the only copy of my data.
There are no secure places! The clouds are not worse than everything else. Stop blaming the clouds.

And I'm living your dream

Sorry, that last part was a dream. I just woke up.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-04 at 12:11.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Not sure if serious or trolling.

32GB microSD for $50, or monthly payments to my carrier of an additional $20 for unlimited data, assuming my cloud storage is "free" (Box.net/Dropbox/etc.)

Gee, I wonder what I'd do.