Active Topics

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There are a bunch of different threads with different angles on the Wii Remote but many are months old and are looking at specific uses.

Any Wii toting developers want to give a shot at pairing the remote with a tablet and doing something basic like outputting the accellerometer data through a GUI?

Thus far I can get my 770 to see the remote. I hit the red button inside the Wiimote battery case to put broadcast it's existence (apparently holding the 1 + 2 buttons works too) and the tablet can detect it when searching for BlueTooth devices.

Here are some links:
Technical data on the Wiimote:
http://www.wiili.org/Wiimote

Yabbas' post on pairing/reading data/support files:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...8&postcount=12

Anybody interested? (This might be something I could tinker with over the Xmas break but I'd be starting at square 1 so far Maemo development goes. Otherwise I'd love to test.)

The Following User Says Thank You to zeez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Aaahahah. Well damn. Thanks!

We still have to make something useful out of the data

True enough. The code is there for the tablet. Now what?

The accelerometer is really interesting, I wonder about a 'game' where you hold the wiimote under the tablet and tilt it around trying to get a ball to roll into a hole or something. More proof of concept, but.

Whack-a-mole (hammer motion to whack something as it appears on the screen, points for fast reaction times)?

A simple flight sim (tilt controlled)?

A metroid-like game would be awesome. Imagine an overhead game where you use the wiimote d-pad and buttons to run around shooting at stuff, then transform into a ball and use the tilt control to roll over your enemies or jump chasms, etc.

That's all I got.

I installed pyAxelWii and can confirm that it works on 770 OS2007HE! The Wii remote paired in about 10 seconds and registered on the graph when I hit 'Start'. I'm amazed at how sensitive it is.

Anyone with a Wii ought to give this a shot, it'll bring back that warm fuzzy feeling when you first started tinkering with your tablet with unorthodox methods.

Works on OS2008 too. Way cool!

One possible application is to measure acceleration in a car or on a plane. You could even do 0-60mph timings. I wonder how the units reported by the script can be translated to g's.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to get wiimote orientation in addition to acceleration?

Already captured I think. Look to the left of the graph, you should have your X,Y,Z data. Tilt the Wiimote and they change. (Seems very sensitive, I put the Wiimote down on the desk and the numbers still twitched a little.)

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
Originally Posted by ag2 View Post
I wonder how the units reported by the script can be translated to g's.
The quickest and probably easiest way to calibrate the units to g's would be to drop the remote (onto something soft) while collecting the data. If you're careful, you can drop it so it accelerates along just one axis of the remote--I'd recommend just holding it by one end and dropping it. Take the average of the acceleration along the long axis during the drop and, voila, you have a measurement for g. If for some reason you can't get it to drop parallel to an axis, you can square the average of the acceleration along each axis, sum the squares, and take the square root of the sum.
I don't know what the acquisition rate of the wiimote is, so I can't tell you how far you'll need to drop it. I'll try it out next week--I'm going home for Christmas and my brother has a Wii.
Feel free to ask me if you need any help with using the accelerometer data--I'm a grad student in a gravitational physics group.

The Following User Says Thank You to baksiidaa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
Whoops. I just read the info about the wiimote from the link above and found out that it uses a force sensor, not a true accelerometer. You can calibrate it for g's by just setting it down with the axis of interest vertical. Calibrate each axis separately in case they're different, and you might want to set it down, collect data, pick it up and move it around, then set it down with the same axis down and collect data again, just to eliminate possible errors.
The device should work just fine as an accelerometer in horizontal directions as is. If you want to measure vertical acceleration you'll need to subtract g from the measurement. Sorry for the confusion.