Active Topics

I know most people use A-GPS to quick fix position. But who knows which app can search satellites fast just with bulit-in GPS??

Thanks so much

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Turn off A-GPS (to avoid polling), and go outside. Hold the earpiece side of the N900 up, and don't cover the area where the front camera/lux meter/proximity sensor is. Open the keyboard (not sure if that does anything, though.)

It usually connects in a couple/few minutes for me.

Or, connect while you're at home/work via Wi-Fi, and leave.

There was this thing called minigpsd (it's in fremantle -devel as well, but it's uninstallable.)
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

I think it doesn't depend on the app. You can turn off A-GPS in settings. Settings -> Location -> unclick "enable" under "Network positioning". However, this will probably also turn off celltower triangulation so you might wanna leave it enabled. Also, my GPS locs pretty fast. It takes about 5 mins in general. (no internet).

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I needed to turn off "always connect" in settings to get it to work well for me. With PR1.2 it seems better than it used to.

Originally Posted by kirajohn View Post
I know most people use A-GPS to quick fix position. But who knows which app can search satellites fast just with bulit-in GPS??

Thanks so much
When I don't have network connectivity or troubleshooting other GPS issues I use GPSjinni.
Take care.

Originally Posted by rustler View Post
When I don't have network connectivity or troubleshooting other GPS issues I use GPSjinni.
Take care.
Will that work without a SIM card?

Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
Will that work without a SIM card?
Yes, I just pulled the sim card and killed my wifi. Powered it back up and pulled up GPSjinni and it locked right up.
Really killed the uptime
I haven't tried the ovi share thing so here is a go at it
http://media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/2105...c3df737ada.jpg
No SIM, no wifi and dead battery
Take care.

The Following User Says Thank You to rustler For This Useful Post:
Thanks ! Do you know how to create a head picture for my self ?

For me I can't get the GPS to lock without internet connection, I disabled the Network Positioning tried GPSJinni (plenty of satelittes with above 85% signal), but there is no use I'm also using PR1.2 (flashed it)
Anyhelp please?

Any GPS program can be used to turn on the GPS module and will immediately show you position once the GPS lock is established (Navit, Mappero, Nokia Ovi Maps, eCoach, GPSJinni, etc.)

What always works for me is to keep the N900 screen on until GPS lock is achieved. You can do it with the Simple Brightness Applet.
Depending on whether you've got the lock before or not, it may take from 1 to 15 minutes to get a new lock in an open field. Personally, I found that usually I can get a lock within 5 min., even inside my house. It takes longer however in a moving car, especially if driving on a highway at high speeds.

And BTW, I never use A-GPS on the road, as I intentionally blocked the internet connection with my carrier.