I have a nokia E51 phone and it is really simple to hook up my n800 with 2008os to connect to the internet using bluetooth and surfing with HSDPA.

So my question is: Since this the OS is linux is it then possible to do the same with a laptop with bluetooth. A lot of tutorials show some DUN stuff with AT commands but there isnt any phone numbers involved as far as i know?

I have flatrate HSDPA so i really want to be able to hook up my Dell X1 to it to do some serious surfing.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
If your laptop has in built bluetooth you can do it. It is the same like where you use the usb cable to connect the E51 to use the internet .... the only difference being that it is done via bluetooth instead of usb.

There is a software called bluesoliel which i used many years ago. try to google and download it. May be that helps

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
At least for Ubuntu, the Ubuntu forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/) have some sort of an how-to as well, I believe. Look it up there, it will probably be helpful even if you use some other distro. I set this up last summer for my E70 and laptop (Feisty) and it worked great. I just did it by surfing the forums. Involved some conf file tinkering but wasn't too bad.

The "phone number" called for a data connection is actually something like #9* or something like that, I think it might vary by provider.

The phone number is *99# and uses the "default data profile" on your phone. Otherwise, try *99***1# to select a specific profile (replace "1" with desired number).

Martin

is it possible to view the result of the connection in some log file.. what i see now on the phone is that the bluetooth symbol changes to connected mode for a while and the connection symbol changes from 3G to 3.5G and shows as if it is trying to connect and after that the bluetooth connection is shutdown.

i am using this tutorial
http://www.bi03.co.uk/home/blog.php?id=18
is there stuff that is operator specific or phone specific?
Since the n800 connected without any problems the connection settings should be kind of generic? is it possible to find the chatscripts or peers config file in the n800 somewhere?

It works now.. this is over hsdpa with the laptop .. thanks for the help

I started with

$sudo pon mobile debug

and then looked in /var/log/messages

The number 1 in OK ATD*99***1# worked but i got disconnected all the time.. but when i changed the name in this line
OK AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","online.telia.se"
from .com to .se it started to work. And that name is the name of the access point that is defined inside the phone.

/etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf
Code:
rfcomm0 {
	# Automatically bind the device at startup
	bind yes;

# Bluetooth address of the device
	device <insert your address here>;

# RFCOMM channel for the connection
	channel	<insert DUN profile channel here>;

# Description of the connection
	comment "E51 Bluetooth device";
}
/etc/chatscripts/mobile
Code:
ABORT VOICE
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO DIAL TONE"
TIMEOUT 120
"" ATZ
OK ATV1E0
OK AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","online.telia.se"
OK ATD*99***1#
CONNECT \c

/etc/ppp/peers/mobile
Code:
noauth

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/mobile"

debug

/dev/rfcomm0 460800

defaultroute

usepeerdns

lcp-echo-failure 0

mobile isp: Telia
Laptop: Dell X1
Phone: Nokia E51

Have you tried Joiku Spot on your E51? The basic idea is that it turns your HSDPA connection into a wireless access point that's usable by any wireless devices.
http://www.joikuspot.com/aboutJoikuSpot.php

I have not tried that but thanks for the tips

I found it easier to get HSDPA over BT to my phone easier to configure then a WPA wireless network in Ubuntu.

BT typically uses less power than WiFi on both devices, anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: