The All About Symbian team is hard at work getting some content ready for the launch of our unofficial Maemo site, which should be happening very very soon.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what kind of content they would like to see on the site? I can't promise anything but I will read every suggestion and pass along a summary to the big cheeses at AAS.

I don't know how much developer coverage we would have, I think we'd be aiming more at a consumer audience, but nothing's absolutely certain yet. Also, All About Symbian's news tends to be a mixture of consumer and industry stuff so I think that would happen on our Maemo site too.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
What's the importance of the word "unofficial"? What kind of content are you talking about? Articles and blog posts (like Reggie's Maemo Talk or rcadden's (pretty, but needs some work on the fact checking for someone claiming to be a guru ;-)) Maemo Guru?

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
What's the importance of the word "unofficial"? What kind of content are you talking about? Articles and blog posts (like Reggie's Maemo Talk or rcadden's (pretty, but needs some work on the fact checking for someone claiming to be a guru ;-)) Maemo Guru?
Well, unofficial in the sense that we aren't paid by Nokia so we can say what we want to. It's just meant to be a generic name to add a touch of mystery about what the real name will be (yes, very exciting stuff indeed). Also the word unofficial helps avoid legal problems with the word Maemo. :-)

We'd be doing content along the same lines as AAS, including hardware and software reviews, news from the web, interviews with various figures to do with Maemo etc.

Just wondered if there was anything in particular that people wanted written about or asked about.

It wouldn't be a blog, so it wouldn't be a direct rival to Reggie's site. The style would be more like a newspaper, though there would be opinion pieces too.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
You did well with allaboutseries80 and allaboutsymbian - it has been a nice formula and you are good writers. In particular, imho you are strong on reports of use cases from everyday life: they are interesting - even if somehow too UK centered for a site that might have a global target - and inspire new ways to use those gadgets. My advice is to stay on your ground and go on that way.

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Well, unofficial in the sense that we aren't paid by Nokia so we can say what we want to.
You mean, I can't say what I want to at maemo.org? =)

Well maybe perhaps stuff like cracking wayfinder, wifi attacks, anything considered "grey area". Perhaps tethering if the telcos decided to still consider that a "no-no". That's what I'm looking forward to

Originally Posted by fms View Post
there seems to be somebody going around deleting posts here for no discernible reason. btw., krisse, thank you for the late ITT tutorial site; it really helped me as a complete newb.

Last edited by wesgreen; 2009-09-05 at 15:23.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
You can because you're not paid by Nokia.

All I'm saying is the people on maemo.nokia.com aren't quite as free to express their opinions as people on other sites, because they are paid by Nokia and they would have signed strict NDAs regarding unannounced products.

Well maybe perhaps stuff like cracking wayfinder, wifi attacks, anything considered "grey area". Perhaps tethering if the telcos decided to still consider that a "no-no". That's what I'm looking forward to
...we're not going to publish how to do something that's illegal! :-D

Tethering isn't illegal though, we'd definitely cover that. The network operators aren't the government. You won't need tethering on the N900 though.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
You did well with allaboutseries80 and allaboutsymbian - it has been a nice formula and you are good writers. In particular, imho you are strong on reports of use cases from everyday life: they are interesting - even if somehow too UK centered for a site that might have a global target - and inspire new ways to use those gadgets. My advice is to stay on your ground and go on that way.
Thanks for that! That's what we planned to do, and I think it will be pretty much the same team too as we're all very interested in the N900.

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
All I'm saying is the people on maemo.nokia.com aren't quite as free to express their opinions as people on other sites, because they are paid by Nokia and they would have signed strict NDAs regarding unannounced products.
To clarify, maemo.nokia.com is a product marketing site from Nokia itself. It does not appear to have any outside content at all. By "here" I mean *.maemo.org sites. Some people maintaining these sites are in fact paid by Nokia to maintain these sites, but not to astroturf for Nokia. Other people are Nokia engineers who are also paid by Nokia to develop Maemo. It is not like switching to a different site will make them go all critical of their employer or something. Yet the third category is a bunch of diehard fans who will defend Maemo no matter what. I doubt they are actually paid by Nokia though.

So, I am still not clear what is this thing that I (or any of the above people) cannot say at maemo.org but can say at some other site.

PS: In spite of the above criticism, I also think that it is a bad idea to concentrate all Maemo-related resources under the same maemo.org umbrella, with the uniform design and strict style guidelines enforced by staff. It all sounds too much like putting all eggs into the same basket, with well known consequences.