Active Topics

Hi,

Is there any way to connect two N900 with each other through builtin wifi without a wifi router.

Regards
Farooq

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 105 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Finland
Have you tried creating an ad-hoc network ?

Originally Posted by onion View Post
Have you tried creating an ad-hoc network ?
Yes but it didn't help.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Perth, WA
Originally Posted by Farooq View Post
Yes but it didn't help.
What are you trying to achieve? If you want to communicate between them on an ad-hoc network you might need to mess around with route.

If you want to use one as a gateway for the other there's probably more to be done with IP forwarding and bridging interfaces.

Would it not be easier to just attach both to another wireless net? Is that not a good solution for some reason?

I guess the OP wants to share data between them via wifi for speed? I would assume the IP addressing is wrong and both pickup APIPA addresses due to lack of DHCP. Though they will still talk providing they are in the same subnet.

What problems/IP addresses do you get? How do they 'not talk'?

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
The Wifi on the N900 is set to DHCP client mode by default.
If you are trying to connect 2 N900's to each other using ad-hoc you will have multiple problems :
1. The DHCP process takes some time to resort to the 169.x.x.x address, so there will be a timeout period you must wait out.
2. Then you have to use ifconfig from your terminal to find out the addresses your devices got, and make sure they are on the same subnet.
3. The easiest would be manually configuring IP addresses for both right after connecting the ad-hoc networks, using "ifconfig eth0 172.1.1.1/24" or something like that (don't remember the exact linux syntax, I'm a windows guy. (sadly)
4. After that, it's time to Ping each other (technically one way would be enough, but I like doing it both ways.
5. Now you should be set up, you can also add a record to the hosts file so you can use a name instead of IP, and more over, you can write a script to set all those things for you and put a shortcut on the desktop for easy usage.
I can help with that if you want.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
The Wifi on the N900 is set to DHCP client mode by default.
If you are trying to connect 2 N900's to each other using ad-hoc you will have multiple problems :
1. The DHCP process takes some time to resort to the 169.x.x.x address, so there will be a timeout period you must wait out.
2. Then you have to use ifconfig from your terminal to find out the addresses your devices got, and make sure they are on the same subnet.
3. The easiest would be manually configuring IP addresses for both right after connecting the ad-hoc networks, using "ifconfig eth0 172.1.1.1/24" or something like that (don't remember the exact linux syntax, I'm a windows guy. (sadly)
4. After that, it's time to Ping each other (technically one way would be enough, but I like doing it both ways.
5. Now you should be set up, you can also add a record to the hosts file so you can use a name instead of IP, and more over, you can write a script to set all those things for you and put a shortcut on the desktop for easy usage.
I can help with that if you want.
sure it will be a great support from ur side.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by Farooq View Post
sure it will be a great support from ur side.
Well then, Please elaborate on where you are stuck, we shell 1st do everything manually and then move to creating the shortcuts and scripts.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |