Active Topics

Hello, I have an issue with the sudden drop in battery, usually when I'm on WiFi. The thing is, one minute it'll be half-bar, still showing green. It'll then flash that the battery is low, and the next minute the phone will be off. Here's a graph of this morning's activity. You can see sudden drop at 9am.

Thanks.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Malaysia
i got the same thing,

its annoying to see the battery is still half and a minute later 'battery low' notification pop-up.

are you using an genuine nokia battery or bought it of ebay?

there are some korean batteries that drop at approx 40% instantly to 0.

I have the issue u mention with some original batteries at about 20% to 0 in a few minutes. I think the indicator has some issues

I have two batteries, both original - but one is from Ebay, though it is labelled as Nokia. The Ebay one is made in Hungary, the other is made in China.

Originally Posted by sygys View Post
are you using an genuine nokia battery or bought it of ebay?

there are some korean batteries that drop at approx 40% instantly to 0.

I have the issue u mention with some original batteries at about 20% to 0 in a few minutes. I think the indicator has some issues

Both batteries have the same problem?

I also thought i had original ones too. even the holographic sticker on them were identical to the genuine one. but they are not...

The only way to be sure to have a genuine battery is to buy it from nokia and getting it in the orriginal nokia package. alle batteries selled on ebay arent in the orriginal packages and only have a plastic wrap around it...

You can also remove the dark grey wrap around the battery and see if there is written "Samsung" underneath it. if it does you have a original one. if not then its a fake.

WARNING! make sure to cover all the metal afterwards. else you get a short circuit. the ground of the battery is on the metal outside!!! If you dont the n900 will shut down everytime the battery hits the metal n900 casing.

Last edited by sygys; 2010-10-08 at 13:10.

The Hungarian one is worse. But it's newer, so I've been using it more. I need to give the Chinese one another go. It's just annoying - most other normal phones show low battery and can run for several more hours. Not the N900.

Yes, you're right about that - the packaging was not sealed, as far as I can remember.

I also thought i had original ones too. even the holographic sticker on them were identical to the genuine one. but they are not...

The only way to be sure to have a genuine battery is to buy it from nokia and getting it in the orriginal nokia package. alle batteries selled on ebay arent in the orriginal packages and only have a plastic wrap around it...

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
fake batteries would explain that: the voltage curve shows almost full until battery is completely depleted. original batteries are designed like the opposites: constant drop in the voltage and as small end bump downwards as possible.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

there is allot of **** selled on ebay keep that in mind!

What you could try is to use the orriginal battery and charge and decharge it a couple of times. maybe it will show the right values after a while.

If you dont use the n900 after you get the battery low message it should atleast keep working for 2 hours.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
The N900, especially when Overclocked and on Wireless under heavy use, can suck the batterie empty very fast.

And battery management is always a complex thing, the circuits calculating the remaining battery are complex and when the battery is a bit older the results may not be entirely correct.

If I interpret your battery graph image correct, the N900 were consuming mor power than just StBy causing you battery to fail rapidly after a certain point.
This would be quite usual especially with a battery a bit older.

I dont know how accurat the Voltage-display of battery graph is, though.

When Li Ion was new, many devices had a way to reset the Batterymanagement causing it to learn again how the actual battery works. Dont know how this is done today.