Notices

I have a perhaps silly question but I need to ask anyway. In my n900 I have several catalougues acitive. Should I have them all the time acitve? Does this effect my phones performance or not? Should I keep them inactive and only to activate them when I need to download something from that specific catalogue?
Thanks and best regards to you all,
M

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
It is fine to leave your repos enabled for day to day use except for the extra-devel one.
This one should be enabled only, and i mean ONLY if you want to install a software which is not available in other repo.
Software here are often buggy and can cause unstabilities to your phone.

The only place where you will see difference will be when your app manager/faster app manager update his application list. The more repos are enabled, the more time it will take to update.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mitrigol For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by miroslav_s View Post
I have a perhaps silly question but I need to ask anyway. In my n900 I have several catalougues acitive. Should I have them all the time acitve? Does this effect my phones performance or not? Should I keep them inactive and only to activate them when I need to download something from that specific catalogue?
Keeping them active all the time will mean the phone needs to update all the catalogues whenever it does an update. In HAM (the default app manager) this is daily be default (though it can be changed), and in FAM (Faster Application Manager) it's only done on demand. Updating the catalogues will, if done over the phone network, impact any data download limits. It will also take up some space on the home/opt filesystem. There will also be some associated processor usage, both in managing the downloads and in checking for updated packages.

Leaving the catalogues disabled will get rid of this cost, but means you will have to do a catalogue update every time you re-enable them. If you only occasionally install apps from them then this isn't much of a problem, otherwise it could get rather annoying.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
as Rob1n said, leaving your repo enabled will make your phone check for update every days and will use data.

But, you can get rid of the Update daily check if you modify the "check interval" value in the file here:

/var/lib/gconf/apps/hildon/update-notifier

Value is set in minutes and its default value is 1440. I personnaly changed it to 525600 which mean it will check for update every year.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitrigol For This Useful Post:
Thanks guys