Notices

Been using for some time a nice wiki-style note app called Zim. Details below. Haven't seen anything comparable at this point in the repos but may be missing something. Or, it would be useful if this or something like it were ported to Maemo. Tossing out the idea or let me know if anyone knows of something similar. Thanks.

About Zim

Zim is a WYSIWYG text editor written in Gtk2-Perl It aims to bring the concept of a wiki to your desktop. Every page is saved as a text file with wiki markup. Pages can contain links to other pages, and are saved automatically. Creating a new page is as easy as linking to a non-existing page. This tool is intended to keep track of TODO lists or to serve as a personal scratch book.

A "desktop wiki" means that we try to capture the idea of a wiki, not as a webpage but as a collection of files on your local file system that can be edited with a GUI application. The main focus is a kind of personal wiki that serves for all kind of notes: todo-lists, addresses, brainstorm ideas etc.

But we want to go further then just a wiki filled with random content. It should also be possible to use you random notes as the basis for more structured data: articles, presentations etc. Zim will not include tools to layout a presentation or something like that, you should use your office suite of choice for that, but it should be a tool that can deliver all the content for a presentation in a form that only needs a template and some layout before usage. Therefor features normally not found in wikis will be added.

See Features for a more detailed list of what zim can do.

* The Webpage for zim is: http://zoidberg.student.utwente.nl/zim
* Please mail any bug reports etc. to pardus@cpan.org

Copyright

Zim is Copyrighted © 2005 by Jaap G Karssenberg. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl.

Thus Zim may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the General Public License.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Link does not work.

Apologies. Pulled link off software. Here is working link.

http://www.pardus.nl/projects/zim/

The one I use and that someone posted here is Notecase. It has many of the same features. Oops, I just noticed that it is a text editor, not a note program. But it does have some of the same features.

Last edited by basco; 2007-10-16 at 20:25.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Frankly, I wouldn't do anything that was long and complex and involves lots of text entry unless you have a bluetooth keyboard.

If you do, I would look at some of the online Ajax programs out there and try to find one that meets your specifications. Google Docs would be my first stop.

I use Maemopad+ for most of my notes, and I'm not thinking of writing a novel on my N800

Notecase is handy also.

Thanks all. Do indeed use Notecase as the most similar functionally, as well as a BT keyboard. Haven't yet figured the keymapping on Maemopad, of which all the keys work but the enter key refuses to scroll down but raises the task bar instead. Agree that Google Docs will be a nice option once my wifi connectivity expands. And yep, with the BT keyboard I've successfully ditched the laptop, which was my goal. Kind of a loner sitting in Panera in the midst of all those big screens - get interesting stares and conversation. Even selling a few people on N800s but have yet to meet an N800 in real life.

In any case, I've not found anything as elegant as Zim but can work around it. Might see if the developer will look into it but it's not a high priority, just one of those wish list things. Now just waiting eagerly on megabyte405 to finish Abiword. . .

Yea, I am having problems with Maemopad+ also. The enter key was a big disappointment so I ditched it in favor of Notecase. I only been to Panera once but since there is a new one 3 miles from my house, I just might be there more often. Zim looks good but I am waiting for a 2007 turnout of Abiword if it does come out. Or even another word processor. Just something.

Did you find a port of this wonderful program ? Did you fill a bug to request such a port for our tablets ?

The Following User Says Thank You to maillaxa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Since this thread I have dropped Maemopad+ for Xournal. Still use Notecase, though.

Notecase ? I will have to look at it.