Active Topics

Notices

So, quite noobish on the N900 and getting the more advanced applications I have postponed trying to get webos games to work. Now with the webOS Game manager I figured this might be my chance to get that sims3 working. From what I understand I need to do following:

1. Install the preenv application
2. Install the webos game manager application
3. Get the game file on my pc and put it in the folder the manager tells me to
4. Install through the manager
5. Play from automaticly created shortcut

If I'm already wrong, feel free to correct me but please keep in mind I don't understand too advanced langueage when it comes to xterminal etc.

Anyhow, I tried installing preenv as the FAQ told me to:

sudo gainroot
apt-get update
apt-get install preenv

But this gives me:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lcok - open (11 resource temporarily unavailble)
E: unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

So, what do I do from here? Another question: Do I need to overclock my N900 to be able to play these games? And if so: Is there any simple overclocking for dummies? I can seem to get most things working with the appropriate guidance, so I'm not all a lost cause...

Thanks in advance!
Best regards

The Following User Says Thank You to mattiasbäx For This Useful Post:
Oh, forgot to mention i DO have the extra-devel rep. available.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by mattiasbäx View Post
sudo gainroot
apt-get update
apt-get install preenv

But this gives me:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lcok - open (11 resource temporarily unavailble)
E: unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
Either the 'sudo gainroot' didn't 'work' - you're not the root user, or you have the Application Manager (or Faster App Manager ) running in another window.

Do you have 'rootsh' already installed to enable root access? http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access

Originally Posted by mattiasbäx View Post
So, what do I do from here? Another question: Do I need to overclock my N900 to be able to play these games? And if so: Is there any simple overclocking for dummies? I can seem to get most things working with the appropriate guidance, so I'm not all a lost cause...

Thanks in advance!
Best regards
No - no need to overclock.

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Either the 'sudo gainroot' didn't 'work' - you're not the root user, or you have the Application Manager (or Faster App Manager ) running in another window.

Do you have 'rootsh' already installed to enable root access? http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access

No - no need to overclock.
Aye, seemed to be me having the app manager running in the background, how silly of me! And thank you!

And how nice that I don't need to overclock. I think at some point I will try getting an overclock working, to get the best out of my phone. But right now this will do...

To go through the list of activities I posted in my first post. Am I missing something or is it really this simple? If i transfer an .ipk file from the computer to the phone, won't I need any application for unzipping or anything or is everything done automaticly through the webos game manager?

Thanks again

Nothing like doing a bit of research, huh? http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=70795

Originally Posted by divan View Post
WebOS Games Manager ('wgames' in repo) - automatic installer/uninstaller for WebOS games. It installs game from .ipk file, applies all needed hacks and creates desktop launcher. It also can back up/restore games' saves.

Features:
* Single click install/uninstall
* Applies all needed hacks
* No changes in system files/dirs (all hacks are implemented with LD_PRELOAD technique)
* No root usage - desktop/icons are stored under /home/user/.local path
* Installs game (by default) into 32GB partition
* Localization support
* Written in C++ using Qt4
* Allows to store/restore game saves
* Multitouch-dependant games adapted for keyboard controls (NOTE. Seems, now that mappings works only for ru_RU locale, Will be researched and fixed ASAP)
* Configurable settings for dirs (useful for people with unusual partitioning)
* Space and directories checks on all stages of install/uninstall
* Simple procedure for adding new games

Maemo packages URL: http://maemo.org/packages/view/wgames/

Install
* Install 'WebOS Games Manager' via Application manager, or 'apt-get install wgames' via terminal.

Usage:
* Copy your purchased ) .ipk files into MyDocs/Downloads dir. (for Windows users - dir Downloads on Nokia N900, when connected to computer). Create this folder if not exists.
* Run WebOS Games from Applications menu, select game and press 'Install'.

Screenshots:

Notes:
The supported games list will grow, as soon as comunity members will post information about it here. To add a new game to the list, you have to prepare .ini file and image for preview. Format of .ini file and (optional) postinstall file I will describe later, but meanwhile you can see examples in /usr/share/wgames/gamesinfo/ dir.

Here is the brief tutorial for How to contribute with new game support.

I also ask people for help with translations. It's super-easy process, using QtLinguist.

TODO:
* Keyboard remapping editor.

Suggestions and bugreports are welcome here.

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
I did read that post, along with 3-4 other "preenv problem" posts before I posted my questions. What confuses me is that the wgames app don't say anything about extracting from zip while this FAQ says you need to have 7-zip to install a game:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Preenv/FAQ

Hence I was confused if this is not needed through wgames or not.

I'm not lazy mate, just plain stupid...

It says that the wgames app installs .ipk files.

The Preenv FAQ mentions 7zip if you're installing games 'manually' - ie, if you're not installing using something like wgames.

wgames *might* need 7zip or similar, but it should have installed any dependencies when you installed it. (I don't know - I don't use wgames).

Have you tried installing a .ipk game using wgames yet?

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
It says that the wgames app installs .ipk files.

The Preenv FAQ mentions 7zip if you're installing games 'manually' - ie, if you're not installing using something like wgames.

wgames *might* need 7zip or similar, but it should have installed any dependencies when you installed it. (I don't know - I don't use wgames).

Have you tried installing a .ipk game using wgames yet?
Nope, will try when I get home from work! Is there free webos games, and where do I get them? If not, where do I purchase sims3?

Best way to find them is to use Google....

Just wanted to post that the game manager installed the game flawlessly without any other applications needed for download. Also, It's possible to launch the game from the manager, making it like an emulator and only needing one icon for the desktop.