Active Topics

I've been reading threads on using Bluetooth enabled phone to connect an N800 to the net. I just got personal cell phone again after none for three years (prior employer had provided one). Went with the Verizon Treo 700p, voice and data plan. Bidding on an N800 right now. Anyone using this combination? Any tips? I'm going to be crossing the country by bicycle this summer and want to do web updates along the way. I'm considering using a bluetooth GPS and Maemo Mapper, too. I have about three weeks to return the 700p without penalty for another phone if there is a better phone to go with... Any and all comments and help are well appreciated. As space and weight are limited while traveling by bike, all my 'electronics' need to fit in a rather smallish tupperware type waterproof container. Obviously that ruled out even a small laptop, but the N800 looks like a reasonable choice. Of course other tablets could be considered if any one here has suggestions (not bucking the N800 bias in a forum like this, just unaware of all that is out there!).
Thanks in advance,
-pigwot

Can't answer your question directly, but something to consider with maemo-mapper is the speed of your connection and whether you want to have it automatically download maps. First, the maps are somewhat large compared to download speeds over some wireless networks. Second, you could easily use a large portion of your bandwidth cap on your plan if you have one just by downloading images. So, better bet might be to plan your route, download the maps along your route ahead of time, and turn off the auto-download feature. It's very easy to do that way, just takes a little planning ahead. As far as bluetooth GPS gooes, there's a thread on the forums talking about which models work, there are plenty that do, I personally have a Holux GPSSlim 236 that does a great job.

Sorry I can't answer the phone question directly.

gsagers,
Thanks for the reply. I had looked at the Holux. I intend to download maps before I go and store them on SD cards
If we get off of our predetermined route ()I was thinking a GPS would be handy.

Yes, the GPS can be very handy. Take a look at Winmapper by ioan, to download the maps to a PC, then transfer to an SD card. Or, personally, I just set the map repository in maemo-mapper to put them on the internal SD card, grabbed a big map of the world, and then zoomed in from there to the places I typically need and grabbed more detail over my home wifi. Either works well, just personal preference. Just be sure to get a zoom level that gives you major roads if you're going cross country.

Caan't help on the Verison thing, but my experience is that the 'Linksys Global Network' works in populated areas.

(The density if unsecured access points broadcasting a LINKSYS ssid is still pretty high.)

pigwot-

A couple of things for you to note. Verizon does have good speed -but- they have a lot of fine print on their data plan. In theory you could get away with downloading maps on the go (which I do with my considerably slower EDGE connection) but you can't stream or do other non-web browsing or email checking stuff.

Just wanted to give you the heads up to read the fine print.

Finally got a new N800. Seems it pairs with the Treo 700p and it is listed as a trusted device, but can't get it to connect via the internet service through Verizon. Not sure I am doing this correctly. Anyone using this combo? Any tips?

Last edited by pigwot; 2007-05-09 at 22:15.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I would be looking for WiFi roaming agreements or national chains that offer free WiFi and route myself near by.
My last cross country excursion (via motorcycle) was over 15 years ago. Well before connectivity. I had a health club membership that belonged to an international organization that honored members who were outside a 50mile radius of their home club.

I mapped out member clubs along the way as well as 24 hour PathMark markets and was good to go. Slept by the pool during the day and traveled at night.

YoDude,
Sounds like quite the trip. I guess I wasn't clear: I am "Bi-cycling" across the country and won't always be near wifi access points. Cell coverage is a little better and at times that is what we'll rely on. Or so I'd thought?!

hey, i've been on a few bicycle trips, and i can't imagine being bothered with any sort of computer. finding power for all the gadgets and keeping them all safe and working properly sounds like a pain.