Hi,

I downloaded and installed many applications and games on my n900 mobile phone, but after a specific period of time I was getting the full memory error due to which i was not able to install more games or apps on my mobile. I checked the memory of my mobile phone and I noticed that 23.03 gb was still available. However only 98.6mb was available in memory for installable applications. So i guess, if we install any type of games or files, it gets installed in the memory for installable applications. However, I was wondering why cant all apps can be installed in the remaining 23.03 gb memory alloted? Is there a way to transfer or install games and apps in the 23.03 gb memory other than the memory for installable applications. Is there any software for same. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
There is no software.you have to either increase the partition of your home directory where all your apps & games get stored (which is currently at 2GB) to any amount you like. I have my /home at 8GB.

OR

Certain games like those Preenv games from WebOS can be installed to your 23.03 MyDocs folder. Search the forum for the tutorial. Use the Power Search and the term Preenv tutorial.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Dinsh View Post
why cant all apps can be installed in the remaining 23.03 gb memory alloted?
Because it's a different filesystem (VFAT) that does not support all the Unix file permissions like the "memory for installable applications" (/opt - ext3 IIRC) does. Another reason is that whenever you plug your N900 into your computer using USB Mass Storage Mode, the 23.03 GB partition (aka MyDocs) gets unmounted and "exported" to the PC. If you have an application running on your N900 that's using something from MyDocs (and if the application itself is put on the 23.03 GB, it counts as using too), this will prevent the partition from being exported to your PC. Also, if you manage to connect the N900 to the PC, and the export works, you can't start any application on that partition from the N900 (because the N900 does not "see" it - it has been unmounted and exported to the PC).

What you could do is resize the /opt partition and MyDocs (i.e. make the "23.03 GB" MyDocs partition smaller and reserve more for "/opt"), but that's an advanced topic and not something that should be done without taking backups first and risking a reflash There are some threads that describe how to do this. But again - if you want to go that route, make sure that you backup everything and be ready for a reflash should anything bad happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Rather than using the mydocs space, would it be easier to use an SDcard for extra app space?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Here is the wiki for repartitioning the flash to use more storage space for your applications http://wiki.maemo.org/Repartitioning_the_flash
But do a full backup before trying anything as suggested earlier, because some of these procedures will wipe your stuff or your applications or both of them!

Rather than using the mydocs space, would it be easier to use an SDcard for extra app space?
I was also wondering if that could be possible, if so then what are the steps.

Secondly thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.
Now, I recently updated the firmware on my n900 and therefore i dont want to reflash it and start over again. I guess firware update = flashing, right or some similar thing. Anyways, the methods described for partitioning is way to bouncy for me and therefore i might end up bricking up my phone, so it is a no go for me. If in future, i will require it then i will try it for sure.

Apart from that, i guess the preenv games are taking too much space on the memory for installable applications, so could you please tell me steps how to transfer or even install preenv games on the mydocs or 23 gb space? (also, while launching any preenv games, like assassins creed, where is the button to shut it off - ingame, ie; to exit to main menu.

In the end, I just wished that there should have been a software that could support or give direct permission to choose on which partition we can install game. Like in windows we can select a drive to install games and applications other than the program files.

Thank you all again.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
In the end, I just wished that there should have been a software that could support or give direct permission to choose on which partition we can install game. Like in windows we can select a drive to install games and applications other than the program files.
From what i read about nitdroid, they experience a real speed difference between external and internal memory, so that may be mounting an external source for system files, might really slow things down.
Apart from that, i guess the preenv games are taking too much space on the memory for installable applications, so could you please tell me steps how to transfer or even install preenv games on the mydocs or 23 gb space? (also, while launching any preenv games, like assassins creed, where is the button to shut it off - ingame, ie; to exit to main menu.
May be as a workaround keep the .debs on your MyDocs partition and install and deinstall them as you need. Stop the game with the power button shortly pressed. This takes some second, but will push the game in the background, you may then choose if you want to have it only backgrounded or terminate it.
Anyways, the methods described for partitioning is way to bouncy for me and therefore i might end up bricking up my phone, so it is a no go for me. If in future, i will require it then i will try it for sure.
Take your time, but it is worth the effort and you learn quite a lot by carefully simulating those step-by-step howto's.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Hi michaaa62,

I have copied and saved all game.deb file in the Nokia N900/DEV/Data/New folder. And I usually go into the new folder and click on any game.deb file to install it. But upon installation, I dont get any options where to install it, so it is automatically installed in the memory for installable applications. So i was wondering how to install and uninstall game directly from the mydocs? I guess there might be a command line or so to do it in the xterminal? If so then what is it? Can you please tell me the steps. Thank you in anticipation.

Also, I noticed you mentioned nitroid? What is it? Anyways i will check it by reading through.

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
it's not just a usb mounting issue on mydocs, that filesystem is not able to support all the normal unix filesystem semanitcs so lacks security and by default is mounted noexec so apps simply cannot execute from it. Using a microsd card would permit a lathe ext2/3 partition, however the slighest wobble of the stand hinge around the camera lens and the default maemo action is to umount it!

Personally I've not come close to filling 2GB of apps, I have symlinked some app data in to mydocs as that data doesn't need to be executed. But honestly, I'd advise you don't have that many, you can't really be using them all

Originally Posted by damion View Post
Personally I've not come close to filling 2GB of apps, I have symlinked some app data in to mydocs as that data doesn't need to be executed. But honestly, I'd advise you don't have that many, you can't really be using them all
Dude, I can only understand the above statements, that you are saying about some issues. And for my actual question, I am wondering whatever you said, correlates? Please excuse me, but I really need some solutions to my issues discussed in post no. 8.

Regards