Active Topics

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I received this job opportunity on LinkedIn and though many of you might find it interesting for more than one reason.

Looking for a Director of Engineering @ Bangalore
The R&D center of a leading handset manufacturing firm is consolidating its operations in Bangalore. The site is intended to build a strong Linux and open source competence in India and to work hand in hand with their sites all over the world on producing devices and software on the Maemo platform.

As the site head, you will be instrumental in delivering cutting edge products to the global market. You will also be responsible for building a high performance R&D team that will develop and test products and UI design.

Specifications
 Masters degree with 15-18 years
 Should have led significant product management
 Should have delivered products/SDKs or APIs in the mobile or convergence space
 Specific work in Open Source / Linux is essential
 Strong leadership, organizational and communication skills.
 May include geographic coordination of functions or global functional/unit.

Compensation will not be a constraint for the right person.

Interested people could connect with Damini at damini@thecorneroffice.net and Anish at anish@thecorneroffice.net
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Mmmm... I don't like that word "consolidating". Hope it doesn't mean what it usually means...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Mmmm... I don't like that word "consolidating". Hope it doesn't mean what it usually means...
I thought you'd be commenting. I believe we have a similar reading on this.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Maemo is going to need diversity to thrive. I tried to drive that point home at the developer event...

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Maemo is going to need diversity to thrive. I tried to drive that point home at the developer event...
Yes it is but if they want to push it to become more consumer friendly then they'll also need to put in more work on it themselves I think.

I might be reading this completely the wrong way but isn't this a good thing for maemo? I mean to me it sounds like what they're doing is putting someone in charge of the nokia efforts to make it ready to be a consumer device. They'll still be working with the community and developers from all over the world.

What exactly is the downside?

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Uppsala,Sweden
Thanks for the post. I think job opportunities ads are a welcome addition to this community. A suggestion though, could you perhaps obfuscate the emails of these poor guys. Spammers you know.

Originally Posted by davost View Post
Thanks for the post. I think job opportunities ads are a welcome addition to this community. A suggestion though, could you perhaps obfuscate the emails of these poor guys. Spammers you know.
These guys are in business to find candidates and use the Internet to be found. They posted their email addresses in the open forum where I found them. Their message was cut and pasted into my post. Anonymity is a poor marketing strategy for a business. Personal email addresses have a different expectation of privacy which is appropriate to respect.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by freppas View Post
Yes it is but if they want to push it to become more consumer friendly then they'll also need to put in more work on it themselves I think.
I was referring to the consolidation part, and what it *might* mean for other corporate locations.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Too bad the job is in Bangalore!
Why don't they consolidate in San Jose?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Wow that would be my dream job.... unfortunately i am not eligible to apply because i am a doctor!