Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Ok.. so I really like the feature where you can open the lens cover to unlock the phone and launch the camera. However, it would be REALLY nice if you could do the reverse (lock the phone and close the camera app by closing the lens cover. I will often take my phone out just to snap a couple quick pics and this would be a lot more convenient.

I'm sure just a simple script would accomplish this, but I don't know enough to do it myself.

The phone actually already somewhat has it built in. You can try it yourself:

Make sure phones locked. Open lens, take a picture, close the lens and the phone should lock back up.

Though I've noticed that if you touch the screen while the phone is unlocked, closing the lens cover only closes the camera app

The Following User Says Thank You to Spr33 For This Useful Post:
Good idea! There is a lens cover open reminder app that was just released. Maybe talk to the guy who made this app and he can point you in the right direction. His user name is nicolai and the thread about the reminder is below.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52534

Originally Posted by Spr33 View Post

Make sure phones locked. Open lens, take a picture, close the lens and the phone should lock back up.

Though I've noticed that if you touch the screen while the phone is unlocked, closing the lens cover only closes the camera app
Regardless of whether or not I touch the screen, closing the lens cover closes the camera app only. Either way, I frequently edit pics on the spot so it would be nice if the lens cover could lock the phone in both scenarios.

Originally Posted by kd_alex View Post
Good idea! There is a lens cover open reminder app that was just released. Maybe talk to the guy who made this app and he can point you in the right direction. His user name is nicolai and the thread about the reminder is below.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52534
I thought about that but I didn't want to pollute that thread. Maybe I will PM him.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
I thought about that but I didn't want to pollute that thread. Maybe I will PM him.
Thanks for the invitation.

Nice idea, but I wouldn't use this feature, though.
I think it would be annoying very soon.
But I'll take a look anyway and test this in my lenscover reminder app.

regards nicolai

Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
Thanks for the invitation.

Nice idea, but I wouldn't use this feature, though.
I think it would be annoying very soon.
But I'll take a look anyway and test this in my lenscover reminder app.

regards nicolai
Yeah, I don't think it really fits in your app. However, it would be a nice option to have (similar to the lens open option in Tweakr).

Even if I could accomplish this setting in command line I would be happy, but alas, I know nothing about coding.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Yeah, I don't think it really fits in your app. However, it would be a nice option to have (similar to the lens open option in Tweakr).

Even if I could accomplish this setting in command line I would be happy, but alas, I know nothing about coding.
I just added some code to lock the screen when the lens cover
is closed. This is not configurable, you have to uninstall the app
if you don't like it. I don't upload it to extras-devel, this is just for
you.

regards nicolai
Attached Files
File Type: deb lens-cover-reminder-sp_0.3.1_armel.deb (6.6 KB, 88 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
this happens for me

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK

This only works if no other apps are running. If other apps are running, when you close the lens cover, the phone goes to the task switcher screen rather than locking.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: