My N900 rebooted by itself this morning, and when I wanted to use it, the background was black, almost none of my programs wanna work, all my contacts and called and recieved numbers are gone. When I reboot it, it shows 'Internal error' atleast 3 or 4 times. It doesn't see any backups, so can't restore. MicroB dead, email dead, etc. Didn't install any programs for the last month or two. Was working fine this morning. Plugged it into laptop to see if I can use it as internet connection when it rebooted.

Please help.
Thanx

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
You must have rootsh from extras repository installed for this to work! It checks the filesystem for easy (automatically) correctable errors.

Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
This should give you an error because the device is not mounted since corrupted, but to be on the safer side, do it anyway.
Code:
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0p1
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs
Pleas feel free to ask, if any more errors occur.
I've tried the above, but when I try 'sudo gainroot' it says
'Enable RD mode if you want to break your device'
I have downloaded Rootsh a long time ago.
Can't connect to internet either, so can't download it again.

PLEASE HELP

This morning when I tried 'sudo gainroot' it asked me for a password ... does anyone else have this problem? Then when I tried it again ... it started giving me the above message.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Try to reinstall rootsh, somehow its functionality is broken by some other stuff you installed. Because root access is broken you have to use HAM application manager to uninstall rootsh and then install it again.
Note: It might be necessary to make a list of some packages that will also get removed along rootsh.

thanx for replying michaaa62
I'm not very good with terminal, so you'll have to explain:

What is HAM app, and can I reinstall without internet access?

I went into Application Manager and could not find rootsh there ... does that mean it's not installed?

Hildon Application Manager is the package manager that comes with Maemo.
Check from the X-terminal if it is installed, no need for root rights here with
Code:
apt-cache policy rootsh
Be patient, this command takes some time!
You need some way to download rootsh, may that be some computer or your n900, may be from the download page here http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p..._1.5_armel.deb
Transfer it to your N900 and click the package in your file manager to install it again via HAM.

Last edited by michaaa62; 2011-05-08 at 17:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wagner1975 View Post
I went into Application Manager and could not find rootsh there ... does that mean it's not installed?
If it is installed it will be under the uninstall button, if you have not installed it it will be under the download button.

Check that you have the right repositories setup

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Hildon Application Manager is the package manager that comes with Maemo.
Check from the X-terminal if it is installed, no need for root rights here with
Code:
apt-cache policy rootsh
Be patient, this command takes some time!
You need some way to download rootsh, may that be some computer or your n900, may be from the download page here http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p..._1.5_armel.deb
Transfer it to your N900 and click the package in your file manager to install it again via HAM.
I downloaded it to my laptop, copied it to the n900, and then went into midnight comander and clicked on the file, then it gave me this error message

Inconsistent extfs archive
sh: /opt/mc/libexec/mc/extfs.d/deb: not found

How else should I try to run it?

PS it wasn't installed anymore

Yes indeed, mc is the geeky way to get things done, but it is not very well integrated into Maemo.
Please move the .deb file to /home/user/MyDocs/.documents to find it in Hildon File Manager (HFM). Clicking here should now start HAM