Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
I started making an Icon pack over the last couple of days. I tried installing MADDE wont install, tried with QT creator it installed but doesnt run. So I just started to make the icons and will deal with the packaging later.

I'm looking for a quick way to test them as I make em. What I've done is copied d4rk icons from opt/user/icons to my PC. I pick an icon that I want to work on say sms search that pack for all sizes that exist and proceed to make a new icon, which is working fine for me.

Now as i complete each icon I start a new folder called testicon with their appropriate folders 64x64/hildon etc etc copy the new file then copy testicon to MyDocs then use file box to manually overwrite each individual icon which is becoming bothersome.

I'm looking for a better way to do this.

Im running windows xp and building in PS5. I've attempted to install debian and ubuntu but am having trouble because my second and third disks are partially set up in a raid configuration the remaining portions of one of those disks is where I would like to set up linux but I am having trouble specifying those areas with out completely reformatting and losing my raid partition.

http://talk.maemo.org/archive/index.php/t-65372.html Ive read this but it seems like more work than copy/pasta from file box. I'm hoping that it will build index.theme though and that is not a file I have to create.

Any suggestions would be appreciated even if some one could point me to a tutorial on how to get linux on my partition would be a start.

btw I am drawing each icon from scratch and not using someone else's work. I chose to overwrite d4rk because it is easy to re-download the original, cant find hicolor and when I copy it from opt/usr/icons i get alot of cant copy simlink. Plus that is the pack I like to use as well.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
you should use WinSCP or any other SSH method to connect your pc to the device. so you got an explorer like view and it's easy to copy the files.

that's the way I do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to NightShift79 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
if you wanna to test you new made icon just make a new folder (any name) at....

usr/share/icon.....

put all your new icon in the new created folder....need to remember not all icon is at 64x64...most of them are at 48x48 so make all folder with different sizes & puts your icon in the proper folder....d4rk icon is your best example to see how many folder & icon needed to be created....
once you have put it all the use themes customizer to change your icon for testing....

for me the best example for adding new icon is on usr/share/icon/hicolor cause all icon are automaticly placed here after installing apps...you need to remember where the original icon is (folder & name) then put you new icon in the same folder in your new icon folder...do not replaced the hicolor icon cause if you do (without backup) then the icon will be permanently be replaced...

The Following User Says Thank You to pusak gaoq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NightShift79 View Post
you should use WinSCP or any other SSH method to connect your pc to the device. so you got an explorer like view and it's easy to copy the files.
will this let me have full access to the file system or will it just limit access as if I was connected via USB?

Originally Posted by pusak gaoq View Post
if you wanna to test you new made icon just make a new folder (any name) at....

usr/share/icon.....

I had tried this but using opt/usr/share/icons and they didnt show up in theme customizer. I assumed it was because index.theme didnt exist. I will try it in usr/share/icons ...now will index.theme be created?

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
I had tried this but using opt/usr/share/icons and they didnt show up in theme customizer. I assumed it was because index.theme didnt exist. I will try it in usr/share/icons ...now will index.theme be created?
you making your own icon base from d4rk icon right??? then use the d4rk index.theme & placed it on your icon folder....
you can edit the index.theme using leafpad (on your n900) or use notepad++ (on your pc)

I got ssh installed and working , it is perfect now is there a way to reload icons with a terminal command rather than running theme customizer? and which directory would be the correct one to copy the icons into?

You can use `killall hildon-desktop` instead of theme customizer restarting all of the services.

Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
You can use `killall hildon-desktop` instead of theme customizer restarting all of the services.
I've tried that it doesnt reset the desktop icons but it does update them in app screen (hitting the top left of home screen) there has to be another service that has to be restarted.