Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Okay, so the N900 has been out for several months and many of you have/own it. The prices are starting to come down, and I'm starting to look at it.

I was wanting to gather opinions on how people like their N900s. They are still over $400 in the US, which is still a significant chunk of change. I have had my N810 for over a year now, and love it. It rarely leaves my side. I use it as a book reader, media player and "micro netbook". I have a bluetooth keyboard, so can use it for typical netbook functions.

If I bought an N900, it would be used similarly to how I use the N810 today. Mainly as a portable computer, with the phone coming in a distant second to the computing functionality. So I guess the beginning of my questions on the N900 would be...
  • Is the device significantly faster than the N810?
  • Can I use my Motorola S9 stereo headphones/remote control with the N900 without bogging down the device? (The N810 could run the app to enable the remote control and stereo, but it was really hard on the poor cpu on the N810.)
  • Is the smaller form factor (is the screen actually smaller?) an issue?
  • Is it worth it from a cost perspective?
  • Will the US version work with the AT&T network? For that matter, is there a different US and European version of the N900?

I guess the bottom line is that I want one, but I am a cheapskate. And I have seen several of them going up for sale in Buy&Sell on this forum, as well as open box on some sites on the web, so I am a little concerned about buying one. The other concern, to put it bluntly, is this whole MeeGo thing and the whole jump from Debian to Fedora...I was happy with Maemo, being Debian-based. But I don't know if I want to buy a piece of technology that is either going to get passed by or caught up in a paradigm shift from Maemo to MeeGo...

Thanks,
--vr

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Hardenberg
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
[LIST][*]Is the device significantly faster than the N810?
[*
--vr
Hi, on this question: I own a N810 and it is a lot slower than my N900. Opening apps, browsing, navigating in menus, over all. I ended up ignoring my N810 completely. The bigger screen is not important in my daily practise.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggroen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by ggroen View Post
Hi, on this question: I own a N810 and it is a lot slower than my N900. Opening apps, browsing, navigating in menus, over all. I ended up ignoring my N810 completely. The bigger screen is not important in my daily practise.
Thanks, ggroen. A lot of what I do is using fbreader on my N810 and some video watching, so I thought I would ask if the screen size made a difference...Or if the screen itself was actually smaller...

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
If I bought an N900, it would be used similarly to how I use the N810 today. Mainly as a portable computer, with the phone coming in a distant second to the computing functionality. ...
[*]Is the smaller form factor (is the screen actually smaller?) an issue?...
Yes. I really think so.