Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Community Council Election (Q3-2010): candidates' Q&A

Sanjeev Visvanatha asked each of the ten candidates standing in the current election a set of questions, touching on motivation; MeeGo; priorities and community support efforts for Maemo:
The format of the Q&A is 5 questions, selected by me. A few of the questions intentionally attempt to illicit discussion surrounding our future - one in which Nokia's involvement could conceivably diminish. I am not sure if that will happen, but I thought I would push those boundaries to see what the candidates thought. As you will see after reading the Q&A, there are mixed feelings on this topic.
With the election closing on Wednesday night (at 23:59 UTC), there isn't much time to decide if you haven't already voted. As each of the respondents notes, this is going to be a term which is at least as important as the current one.

Anssi Vanjoki, Nokia exec ultimately responsible for MeeGo, resigns

The day before Nokia World, Anssi Vanjoki resigned. He'll be working his six month notice period, and still gave an empassioned keynote at the London event. AllAboutMeeGo continues with the thought we've all had:
Coming just days after the appointment of Stephen Elop as the new CEO of Nokia, it seems very likely that Vanjoki was one of the internal candidates passed over for the job, consequently he has decided to move on.

Peter Skillman hired by Nokia as MeeGo user experience chief

Following the departure of two executives, Nokia have found someone to lead their UX & Services teams; focussing on MeeGo. Engadget said,
Nokia has managed to scoop up Peter Skillman from the wreckage of the HP/Palm merger. One of the many senior VPs to leave Palm upon its assimilation into the HP empire, Peter spent 11 years with his previous employer and was in charge of the design team that produced the deliciously curvaceous Palm Pre. Now at Nokia, he'll be heading up the user experience and services division for MeeGo, which means that if you weren't excited for the platform already, you've now got a very good reason to be.

In this edition...
  1. Front Page
    • Community Council Election (Q3-2010): candidates' Q&A
    • Anssi Vanjoki, Nokia exec ultimately responsible for MeeGo, resigns
    • Peter Skillman hired by Nokia as MeeGo user experience chief
  2. Development
    • Reacting to MeeGo Touch list selections
    • RFC - MeeGo connection handling
    • What's it Like to develop commercial apps for Nokia devices?
    • Invitation to Qt Developer days
    • New release of PySide (Qt bindings for Python) now in Extras-devel
  3. Community
    • Local MeeGo group collaboration
    • Minutes for maemo.org coordination meeting
    • Robin Burchell election ballot confusion: mini-constitutional crisis ensues
  4. Devices
    • Nexus One's MeeGo port is booting and usable
  5. Announcements
    • TPlayer is "small, quick & easy-to-use" music player
    • Wallpaeper manages desktop wallpaper groups on N900
    • Flashlight-extra gives control over camera lens behaviour
    • ...and 3 more

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Good job Jaffa
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
Good job Jaffa
As ever, thanks to GeneralAntilles as well for his work on the editing; and the people who contribute links via Twitter.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
mwkn_issue, news_digest