Active Topics

Hey made a brainstorming at myself, and thought if it would be possible to change the 5MP Camera with anouther camera lens, which has more megapixels ... ??

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Essex, UK
Hmm...thats an interesting thought..

I guess we'd have to look at some other carl zeiss camera modules to check the pin configuration......

Originally Posted by necoicould View Post
Hey made a brainstorming at myself, and thought if it would be possible to change the 5MP Camera with anouther camera lens, which has more megapixels ... ??
This is totally bogus.
First thing, the lens is not doing anything to the Megapixel. Anyway the CarlZeiss lens is already pretty good.

Second, if you want more Megapixels, you need a larger CCD, otherwise you have more Megapixels but smaller pixel size,i.e. less signal to noise ratio. In addition, it doesnt make any sense to have pixels, smaller than the diffraction limit of the lense.

Third, how would you replace the CCD???? Come on, by a Canon powershot for a 100bucks and you are fine.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Essex, UK
Well..
It sounds like the original poster wants a better quality camera, i assume he means camera module not lense. as lenses don't increase megapixels.

The lense and ccd are in same module, which is usually connected to the mainboard by a flex cable with a snap connector, and looking at the disassembly video of the n900 the module looks like that of the n95. If i ever open my n900 i'm quite willing to give it a go. (yes i know thats 5mp too but meh)

N8 camera module in n900 ? heh heh

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
sure., we replace the cam with one which has 50mpx... and when the n900 is already disassembled why not replace that tiny tft with a 104" lcd??? and maybe we could replace the front cam with the old 5 mpx cam we just removed...

omg... wake up... replacin parts in a electronic device is not like putting a sticker on your lunchbox....

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
It's not a CCD, it's a CMOS.

And, yeah, good luck with that pixel thing.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Try the N86 camera unit with N900? Would be interesting if someone can get it to work

But there won't be any application to make use of it hahah. Since the Camera app only support 5Mp

Well, if all you want is megapixels, the easiest way to do it is upscale the picture. Bam! 10 MPx. What the hay, make it 15. Hey, it's better than my DSLR already.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Well, if all you want is megapixels, the easiest way to do it is upscale the picture. Bam! 10 MPx. What the hay, make it 15. Hey, it's better than my DSLR already.

Like the guys who convert a camrip to HD. I love it...

Pros do it too. I've got HD BD editions of movies so old the cover was yellow. Marketing.