Posts: 21 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Ipswich, England
This is a strange one - I wonder if anybody else has seen anything like it or (better still) can see a solution.

If I carry my N900 with me when I go on a long (50-60 mile) cycle ride, and I have Mappero running to track my route, there's something like a 50% chance that at some point in the ride my N900 will reboot itself.

If I carry the device on the bike without Mappero running, no reboots. Run Mappero when (for example) I'm walking around, no reboots.

It seems not to be a general GPS problem, as I've tried running Marble and haven't had any reboots with that running (shame it hasn't got Mappero's functionality).

So I'm totally stumped. Any ideas?

I use mappero from the extras repository (no devel, testing etc.) and I use it frequently in a car. No reboots at all. However, I have a frequently battery drain when I stop GPS, leave mappero running and lock the n900.
Actually - how does your battery behave during this problem? Can be the difference in shaking? Large and fast accelerations on bike?

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ France
I've also notice this problem, except that in may case instead of rebooting, the device just powers off.

It's not a battery problem as I can power it on again and it goes not working.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
I would guess it is a bad battery contact caused by vibrations....

In case it is a SW issue, you could try modRana for your mapping and tracking, see if that works.

Originally Posted by jaromrax View Post
I use mappero from the extras repository (no devel, testing etc.) and I use it frequently in a car. No reboots at all. However, I have a frequently battery drain when I stop GPS, leave mappero running and lock the n900.
Actually - how does your battery behave during this problem? Can be the difference in shaking? Large and fast accelerations on bike?
Battery's fine. I don't think vibrations are likely to be the problem, as if they were it would still happen when I'm not running Mappero. I've tried moving the N900 from the pocket in my shorts to my camera case (mainly in case it was some sort of odd localised environmental problem, no difference.

Very odd...

Originally Posted by petur View Post

In case it is a SW issue, you could try modRana for your mapping and tracking, see if that works.
Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't come across modRana before. First impression is that it's got far more functionality than Marble and it seems to have pretty much everything I need.

Looks like it'll use all the map tiles I already downloaded for Mappero, too!

As soon as the current wet weather clears up I'll get out for some nice long rides and try it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to beermad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ France
I am sure the battery is not involved because I carry my N900 with me all the time and it only crashes/powers off if I'm using Mappero.

I tried with OSM2Go which worked flawlessly.