Active Topics

Hi,
Although English is not my first language, I’ll try to explain what happens to my N900. A week ago, when I paired my N900 using Bluetooth to other S60 phone (N70), the N900 was correctly detected by N70 as a phone device. The same happened when I paired my N900 using Bluetooth with my Windows 7 laptop, the N900 was detected as a “phone” device (synchronization via Bluetooth using PC-Suite was possible, because the N900 was correctly detected as a “Phone” device). However, three days ago, when I tried to switch on the Bluetooth of my N900, the device name was not “Nokia N900” as usual but some kind of long system message (sorry, I cannot give you the exact text because I deleted it to write “Nokia N900” again). I did not pay much attention to this fact. However, when I sent a file from Windows 7 to N900 via Bluetooth, I noticed that the device type in Windows was not a “Phone” but “Other”. The file was correctly sent, but the PC-Suite was not able to detect the phone using the Bluetooth connection. I tried to pair again the phone to the S60 device, and it was not detected as a Phone (the icon in the Bluetooth configuration of N70 phone was not a phone but a generic Bluetooth device). I have tried to delete the device in Windows, also delete the link in N70 and re-pair again, nothing worked, the N900 is always detected as a generic Bluetooth device.
I have only installed two apps that make use of the Bluetooth: FMRadio and Petrovich. I guess that a bug in FMRadio has corrupted my Bluetooth configuration, because this app is quite buggy at this time (sometimes a restart of the device is required so the FMRadio can work again).
I’m not a linux expert and I don’t know where it stores the Bluetooth device name, type, etc. I suppose that there must be a file which is corrupted. I do not want to reflash my device because this seems a minor problem. Could somebody help me?
Best regards,
Iker.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
You're quick making your assumptions. Thanks for calling FM Radio buggy, while in fact the Maemo OS is buggy and a hostile environment to FM radio, and the app has to work around all sorts of OS issues.

But no, except for powering up Bluetooth, FM Radio doesn't touch or modify Bluetooth in any way.
Petrovich sounds more like a candidate as it has to add unsupported Bluetooth functionality. But then, I'm also just makinng assumptions. One would have two test both apps and see which one is the culprit.

Maybe none of those apps is guilty. However, I've seen some problems using FMRadio and not Petrovich (possibily not related to the program itself, I cannot say) and I'm just trying to guess which could be the problem so a Linux expert can tell me what Maemo configuration file could be affected. Indeed, I consider FMRadio a great and very important application to enhance the N900 experience and for sure it is a nightmare to get a stable product like with MMS (why Nokia has no Radio player installed by default?).
However, I have never used Petrovich for sending files through bluetooth (although I have it installed). On the contrary, I have had problems exiting FMRadio and disabling bluetooth (maybe not related to FMRadio but a buggy OS), and that's why I suspected FMRadio.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Device type is displayed depending on the bluetooth class. Could you please open up a terminal and issue the following command:
cat /etc/bluetooth/main.conf | grep Class

it should look like this: Class = 0x00020c

if it doesnt, edit the file and input the correct values, then reboot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z0l For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Z0l View Post
Device type is displayed depending on the bluetooth class. Could you please open up a terminal and issue the following command:
cat /etc/bluetooth/main.conf | grep Class

it should look like this: Class = 0x00020c

if it doesnt, edit the file and input the correct values, then reboot.
Thanks. The Class value seems OK in the file. However, the DeviceID line in the file is commented and set to 1234:5678:abcd. Is that OK?

I've issued the command "hciconfig hci0 class" in root user. The result is: Can't read class of device on hci0: Connection timed out.
Indeed, the command "hciconfig -a" does not report the device class. Is this an expected behaviour?

Last edited by ikerrg; 2010-01-11 at 22:35.

New important information!!!

When I activate the bluetooth in N900 and issue the command "hciconfig hci0 class" the result is Class=0x580000. This is not 0x00020c. What could be happenning?

Thanks in advance.

Solved!!! I have issued the command "hciconfig hci0 class 0x00020c" and my device is now correctly detected as a Phone. Now I can connect to PCSuite using bluetooth.

Any idea of what could have modified this? Why the N900 is not using the info in the file "/etc/bluetooth/main.conf "? It could be a firmware bug, please, help me with some ideas so I can write a bug report in maemo.

Thank you Z0l, your idea has helped me a lot!

Cheers!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ikerrg For This Useful Post:
Hey!!! It does not seem a permanent change. After connecting to the PCSuite, the class of the device is changed to 0x580000 again!!! (and disconnected from PCSuite). Maybe the PCSuite is changing the class of my device after connecting. I cannot understand anything.
It does not seem a problem of FMRadio or Petrovich, it seems a big bug in Maemo together with PCSuite. I'll continue investigating.

Please help me.

The Following User Says Thank You to ikerrg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Maybe the OS changes type dynamically according to what's currently needed?
Having developed FM radio and seen lots of weird behavior in the Maemo OS, and having used petrovich, I have never experienced this Bluetooth issue. So it may really be related to PC Suite, which I have never used.
Thanks for investigating this issue.

It seems that the device class is reset to 0x580000 when the bluetooth is switched of and on, regardless of the connetion to the PCSuite. However, the triggering event for this problem still seems to be related to the first time I connected to the PCSuite using bluetooth, because I do remember that Windows correctly identified the N900 as a bluetooth phone on that first time. I've read a bug regarding firmware issues in some bluetooth chips of N900. Does anybody know anything about this? Could you check the device class of your N900 by issuing the command "hciconfig hci0 class" in the console?
Indeed, I'm not sure about being PCSuite who altered my N900 the first time I connected it using bluetooth. It could also be Windows 7 x64, but it seems less probable.

Cheers!