Active Topics

Notices

/installs
/pops out webcam

calls friend on MSN using their special format as outlined in knowledgebase

...nothing

friend gets gizmo account, i call, no video picture and it says on her end "incoming call was rejected because no audio devices are available"

*head desk*

/sigh

When will we get a decent video call capability? aMSN was slow and not optimized for tablets, NOR did the webcam feature work. And if I remember right the Skype client for Maemo doesn't support video?

» N800, cloned Diablo on 2 GB SD (Device: 600 MB, Internal: 256 MB, Swap: 256 MB), 8 GB external SD

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
You can NOT call an MSN account with Gizmo. MSN is not using a standard SIP protocol for video nor audio (they're using their own proprietary protocol, ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSN_Messenger ). So you shouldn't even bother with that--you're stuck with using Microsoft to talk to Microsoft there.

Also, you're right--Skype for N800 has no video support. Skype being pathetic and showing me why I'm not particularly happy with Nokia's level of dedication to keep this platform relevant.

I don't know what to tell you, but I was able to successfully make a video call with Gizmo to my brother's Windows PC from my Nokia N800. I don't think I did anything special except to make sure the Windows version is the newest one with the video call support. It sounds like your friend should try going into Gizmo's preference menu and choose the AUDIO tab (on the left) and look to see what audio device Gizmo is set to use. Make sure it's set to using something appropriate (USB headset device, internal sound card with headset plugged in, etc.).

Come on back here and let us know if that didn't work, though. I can't imagine "no audio devices are available" can't be resolved.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I can confirm that Gizmo should work PC to N800.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Come on back here and let us know if that didn't work, though. I can't imagine "no audio devices are available" can't be resolved.
Wait so that error was on HER end not mine?

» N800, cloned Diablo on 2 GB SD (Device: 600 MB, Internal: 256 MB, Swap: 256 MB), 8 GB external SD

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ €@$T Montreal Quebec Canada
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I can confirm that Gizmo should work PC to N800.
just for messaging but for video call you need to be gizmo:tablet to gizmo:tablet

tablet to tablet works well for video call (but video quality is bad cause the front camera of the device is not very good quality but all works

pc to n8x0 video call is possible?really?

i'am very curious to know how you make it if you really tak about ''video'' call between pc and tablet
( i try hard in the past whitout good results)...

suprise me!! please lol
French Noob

BorgTheme ¤ BorgSounds ¤ BorgStartUp ¤ BorgClock

Last edited by LABAUDIO; 2009-07-08 at 22:11.

Originally Posted by jself View Post
Wait so that error was on HER end not mine?
If that error message came up on HER side, yep. It means she has no audio devices to play the audio on the incoming call.

Originally Posted by LABAUDIO View Post
just for messaging but for video call you need to be gizmo:tablet to gizmo:tablet

tablet to tablet works well for video call (but video quality is bad cause the front camera of the device is not very good quality but all works

pc to n8x0 video call possible?really?

i'am very curious to know how you make it id you really tak about ''viedeo'' call between pc and tablet ( i try hars in the past whitout good results)...

suprise me!! please lol
I'm not sure why you're saying that. It works fine back and forth between a PC and a Nokia tablet using Gizmo. This has been working for months. There's no special steps.. no amazing joojoo.. you make a call and as long as there's a cam on at least one side, there'll be a video call in one direction.. and if both have a cam, it'll be a two-way call. Why are you surprised?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 315 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ €@$T Montreal Quebec Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm not sure why you're saying that. It works fine back and forth between a PC and a Nokia tablet using Gizmo. This has been working for months. There's no special steps.. no amazing joojoo.. you make a call and as long as there's a cam on at least one side, there'll be a video call in one direction.. and if both have a cam, it'll be a two-way call. Why are you surprised?
cause i try in the past and i dont got good result...but you give me good hint about preference tab...

i try again tonite TX for the hint
French Noob

BorgTheme ¤ BorgSounds ¤ BorgStartUp ¤ BorgClock

Originally Posted by LABAUDIO View Post
cause i try in the past and i dont got good result...but you give me good hint about preference tab...

i try again tonite TX for the hint
No problem. Come back and let everyone know how it works for you when you do. I'd be interested to see it working for you.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
jself:

If what you are trying to accomplish is simply a PC-to-N800 video call, and your attempts to get aMSN and Gizmo working are part of this, I've heard (I haven't tried myself, although I should) that the X-Lite client works well on the PC side to do a video call with the tablet. I'm not sure if you are required to use the tablet's Gizmo client, or if you can use the tablet's built-in video call. Anyone know?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: