My phone (n900) connected to my wifi router everthin work fine (I mean Internet) but when I try to connect to my laptop (from phone) using ssh I can connect from 10-th atempt(login ok and when i try enter a comand it just thinking, and when I try connect from my laptop to phone via ssh same story. I think something with connection...

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Dunno. Never had any problems with SSH.
I suggest that you set up fixed IP for your N900 and create bookmark in your site manager (I'm using filezilla). Also, the protocol or server type must be SFTP. User is root and password is whatever you entred during SSH installation on your N900.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
what are you using to connect at the laptop end? ie. firezilla, winscp etc

I can connect from my PC to the N900 via SSH (putty on the PC end) no problems... SFTP also works great.
Did you try to ping the N900 from the laptop? Maybe there is something interfering with the wifi signal?

I use ssh tool which I install from default repositary using program manager.
It's like somthing with signal but all devices in my flat working corectly 3 laptops, SP3, and phone work with internet correctly. but ssh can connect from 10-th time a bring my phone near wi-fi router and laptop to.

Code:
root@localhost vpn]# ssh root@192.168.1.4
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.4 port 22: No route to host
And from n-time it just try to connect....
just seams like network is inaxctive before some action like going to some page in browser

Last edited by Luna-Tic; 2011-01-03 at 11:44.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ S.E. Michigan USA
You probably need to turn off power saving for this connection on your N900.

Some routers just don't work well with the N900's power saving feature, and this leads to a confusing situation where outgoing connections from the N900 work fine, but incoming connection requests from outside (such as SSH) work poorly or not at all.

It is a bit hard to find, but if you step through to the last page of the settings for this WiFi connection and press the advanced button and switch to the "other" tab, there is a setting for power saving. The middle setting isn't terribly useful so I suggest setting it off for this connection and leaving full power saving on for any other hotspots that don't cause problems.

Turning off power saving will significantly affect your battery life so you will probably want manage your connections manually or leave the N900 on a charger most of the time when it is in range of this router.

The Following User Says Thank You to don.ebright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by Luna-Tic View Post
Code:
root@localhost vpn]# ssh root@192.168.1.4
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.4 port 22: No route to host
And from n-time it just try to connect....
just seams like network is inaxctive before some action like going to some page in browser
Agree it looks like a network / connectivity problem.

What else is going on with your connection (either on the laptop or the n900)?

I have had no problems at all with ssh in either direction from or to desktop/n900 with openssh-server/client at both ends.

Does your laptop go into a power-saving mode and take the interface down? Does your n900?

When you have this problem can you still ping the laptop and get a timely response? If so can you ping from one terminal and ssh from another successfully? (i.e. will this keep the network up for both devices)

Also, it's unrelated (and you may well know already) but you don't need to be root to use the ssh client.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Check your router configuration. There is always an option to prevent clients connected to the router talk to each other. May be you have it on by mistake.

Thank for all for your help.
Originally Posted by don.ebright View Post
You probably need to turn off power saving for this connection on your N900.

Some routers just don't work well with the N900's power saving feature, and this leads to a confusing situation where outgoing connections from the N900 work fine, but incoming connection requests from outside (such as SSH) work poorly or not at all.

It is a bit hard to find, but if you step through to the last page of the settings for this WiFi connection and press the advanced button and switch to the "other" tab, there is a setting for power saving. The middle setting isn't terribly useful so I suggest setting it off for this connection and leaving full power saving on for any other hotspots that don't cause problems.

Turning off power saving will significantly affect your battery life so you will probably want manage your connections manually or leave the N900 on a charger most of the time when it is in range of this router.
when I shutdown power saving option all work fine thank you for help!