Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I thought this thread would be a good thread to serve as a bit of education to users as to what we all like doing with our NITs. I'm eager to hear what your uses are, particularly the more exotic uses!

I'll start with one (more to follow):
I love the fact that Maemo is open.

As of right now, I'm using the tablet for the more common apps (ebooks, music, voip, pim, email, IM). However, this is all going to change very soon as I intend to use the tablet as a remote terminal to interact with my home machine (SSH, SFTP, HTTP, etc) with the aid of a bluetooth keyboard and dyndns. Considering that much of the day, I'm either coding or writing, I'd love the flexibility of doing this remotely with the same speed as my home machine, the extremely mobile form factor that the NIT offers, and truly insane battery life x 2!

What specifically do you like about your tablet?

YARR!
}:^)~
Capt'n5

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I love that it's a computer in my pocket.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Stereo speakers for bedside radio listening

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I just love that it's the smallest PC I own... and that it has such a great battery life. A lot of things I did with my desktop PC before I now do with the tablet. And I do things I wouldn't have done before because the tablet is always there, always ready to be used... With a PC or laptop, you'd not do certain things because it's just not worth waiting for it to boot. The tablet is never off in the first place.

Oh, yes, and I love that I can watch all my DVDs on it when I travel by train.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
How do you watch DVD's on it? Are they ripped to fit the screensize? Anything bigger and my N800 chokes.

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
using skype or pidgin or just surfin the web on someone elses wifi

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
For those of you who don't know, I have a 770. Here is what I like:
  • Hard case:
    • Protects the screen when I'm not using the tablet.
    • You can drop the tablet into the case and kill the WiFi and screen, if you have to put it away in a hurry, thus saving power if you can't/forget to then turn things off later.
    • You can put in headphones, put the hard case on, and shut of the screen immediately and keep from accidentally hitting the screen and listen to music using very little battery power for a long period of listening time. This works great with my headphones with volume control, because I can turn down the volume for short periods without taking of the case.
  • No physical keyboard:
    • Does not have the added weight or mechanical complexity (where things are more likely to go wrong), and the D-pad is where I can get to it.
  • High Res Screen:
    • Seeing webpages in a decent manner in conjunction with "Fit Width to View".
    • Interacting with screen in as few steps as possible using stylus for links and menus, and using stylus and stylus keyboard for text input.

The N800 removed the first thing I like from the line, the N810 removed the second thing I liked from the line, the N900 will remove a good portion of the third thing I like from the line, and I am sure the next version will remove the stylus entirely, thereby completing the task of removing every single thing that I love about the 770 from the line. :-/

Last edited by mullf; 2009-04-23 at 00:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
I like that my N810 fits in my pocket. (A shirt pocket)

I like that it has a keyboard that's good enough to make command line work much more pleasant than it was (for me) on the N800.

I like that when I need to do some more serious keyboard work, the N810 is small enough that there's still room in my shirt pocket for a Freedom Mini Duo bt keyboard. (As long as I don't mind looking like a geek. And I don't. I cultivate the illusion, even though I know I'm not worthy.)

I like that I can depend on it to remind me of appointments with reliable alarms. (Thanks, Gene Cash, wherever you are, for making it so.)

I like that a decent and sometimes stunning, if quirky, selection of software is available for the tablet.

I like that even more software is available through Qole's Easy Debian Turbo (as well as through other alternate add-ons I haven't tried).

I like being able to access reading and reference material, even when I'm not near an internet access point.

I like that the tablet appears to have some future beyond its lifespan as an available product, in the form of community support. Thanks to those who make the community work.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I love that it's a computer in my pocket.
+1

Perfect SW engineer's toy.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Eric! View Post
How do you watch DVD's on it? Are they ripped to fit the screensize? Anything bigger and my N800 chokes.
they're ripped to something like half the the screen size or even smaller. cannot remember exactly what the script really does.

on a 4.1" screen that's on a table in front of you while you're comfortably leaning back, what a difference does it make?