Active Topics

Hi, I am tottaly new at maemo.org, but I have been using N900 for 2 months, and only thing that is not so good on this device is battery. Maximum i get is 12h of uptime. So I heard that when you overclock (eg. 900MHz) (and underclock 125 MHz) your N900 battery uptime is longer.
So my question is: can you overclock your N900 without affecting updates? Can i overclock my N900 and still normaly use updates from "Aplication Manager"? And what else does overclock "block" on my device?

PS. Sorry for my bad english, I am from Croatia.

Thanks for the answers in advance!
Cheers!

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by tudek.jr View Post
Hi, I am tottaly new at maemo.org, but I have been using N900 for 2 months, and only thing that is not so good on this device is battery. Maximum i get is 12h of uptime. So I heard that when you overclock (eg. 900MHz) (and underclock 125 MHz) your N900 battery uptime is longer.
So my question is: can you overclock your N900 without affecting updates? Can i overclock my N900 and still normaly use updates from "Aplication Manager"? And what else does overclock "block" on my device?

PS. Sorry for my bad english, I am from Croatia.

Thanks for the answers in advance!
Cheers!
Yes to all, the only thing you might do is fry your CPU but I don't think anyone has managed that yet.
I've been running at 250-1150 with swap set to 30 for about 4 months now, both on PR1.2 and PR1.3 and I've seen no adverse side effects yet.

OC'ing will have no ill affects on updates, i must say though the advice you've been given is only partialy true, OC'ing can give you better battery life (but not that much) but reducing minimum frequency to 125mhz will just make your device unstable, i find i get best results overall, with ideal 500-850Mhz
before you do anything though please read this: http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking & http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power
Good luck, and remember over clocking voids your waranty

Thank you very much for your replys!

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
I am curious why overclocking works so poorly on my N900. All the profiles except the default and lv will cause reset (if I set minimum to 250 and maximum to 900). And even then I get resets sometimes, especially when I scroll around in MicroB.
Trying maximum's over 900 is a no go, it resets within 5 or 10 minutes usually.
Is my device, or let's say the cpu simply a bad specimen or am I doing something wrong? I know the manufacturing yield is not always 100% and that some circuits are not as good as others, but I'm wondering if this is really the problem.
Is there someone else who has an n900 that is intolerant to overclocking?