Active Topics

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Honolulu, Hi
I mounted my n810 on the handle bar of my bike today. Has anyone tried this with great success or horrible destruction resulting? I'm kind of worried about vibrations...

I just used the car mount that came with the device, but added a rubber strip over the top to prevent it from bumping out. It seems pretty solid and I went on a test ride and it didnt fly out... The gps worked well at low speed, I got 3d fix. But when going down a curvy road at faster speeds it degraded to 2d fix and lost the connection a few times. I haven't used the gps in a car yet to compare.

Anyway this has lots of exciting possibilities! Like viewing tracks in google maps, and it could take photos of the rider periodically during a ride...

Ben

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Oxford, UK
Hi,

I've been using my 770 with Maemo Mapper on my bike for nearly a year now, and covered ~2000miles. No ill effects so far. Recently upgraded to a Holux M1200 GPS which is much better than the old Garmin 'Brick' I had previously.

I got a clamp mount generic bracket on Ebay which works perfectly.

Cheers,

Alistair

Nokia 770 IT2006 running
from 2GB kingston MMC
64MB swap.

There are no moving parts in the storage, so you should be all good, provided that your SD card doesn't bump loose (which it shouldn't).

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ NH, USA
Thanks for posting the pictures. I did the same thing with $2 of parts from ACE Hardware. For any who are wondering about doing likewise, the main clamp is an electrical conduit clamp (not a water pipe mount). I used nylock nuts so that they wouldn't come loose with vibration, and a slice of "Foamies" foam around the handlebar tube to keep from scratching it and to cut vibration a little.
The mount is solid, although it does vibrate a bit. I'm not sure if I'd do this on a mountain bike or not. I probably would, just because having a GPS mounted on a bike is that cool.
My only real problem is that the mount covers the "lock screen" and "full screen" buttons. When I hit a good bump (pretty common on Oklahoma's roads ), it switches to fullscreen or back. Cutting a little bit of plastic would probably solve this.

The Following User Says Thank You to botsnlinux For This Useful Post: